Skip to main content

DCMP

Menu

Creative Living With Sheryl Borden #6719

All Topics » Topic: Home and Family » Subject: Cooking » Creative Living With Sheryl Borden #6719
  • 2014
  • Grade/Interest Level: 7 - 12
  • Running Time: 27 minutes
  • Captioned English

Synopsis:

Motivational speaker Sue Hanson provides ways to relieve stress, and crafter Ann Butler stops by and demonstrates how to stamp out a quilt. Also a representative from Butterball offers suggestions on how to enjoy turkey all year.

Transcript:

>> "CREATIVE LIVING," UTILIZING TODAY'S TECHNOLOGY WITH THE
BEST OF THE PAST TO BRING YOU INNOVATIVE IDEAS AND UP-TO-DATE
INFORMATION FOR CREATIVE LIFESTYLES IN TODAY'S ACTIVE
WORLD, WITH YOUR HOST SHERYL BORDEN.
>> WELCOME TO "CREATIVE LIVING" TODAY. WE'RE GOING TO LEARN HOW
TO USE HUMOR TO RELIEVE STRESS, WE'LL LEARN HOW TO STAMP
A QUILT, AND FEATURE SOME GREAT TURKEY RECIPES
FOR YEAR-ROUND DINING.
ONE OF MY GUESTS IS SUE HANSEN, AND SHE'S A MOTIVATIONAL
SPEAKER. SUE'S GOING TO TALK ABOUT HUMOR AND STRESS. AND
STRESS IS INEVITABLE IN TODAY'S ENVIRONMENT, AND SOME PEOPLE
WEATHER THE STRAIN BETTER THAN OTHERS.
SUE'S FROM MONTROSE, COLORADO, AND HER COMPANY IS
"SUE HANSEN SPEAKS."
ANOTHER GUEST IS ANN BUTLER, AND SHE'S A DESIGNER AND CRAFTER.
AND SHE'S GOING TO SHOW HOW TO USE SPECIALTY STAMPS
TO STAMP OUT A REAL QUILT.
THE STAMPS ARE CREATED WITHOUT A LIP, SO YOU CAN EASILY PLACE
THEM NEXT TO EACH OTHER TO CREATE YOUR ARTWORK.
ANN'S BUSINESS IS "ANN BUTLER DESIGNS," AND
SHE'S FROM VILLARD, MINNESOTA.
AND WE'LL BEGIN THE SHOW TODAY WITH MARTY VAN NESS,
WHO IS A SPOKESPERSON AND HOME ECONOMIST WITH BUTTERBALL
IN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS.
MARTY'S GOING TO TELL HOW TO ENJOY TURKEY
THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, NOT JUST DURING THE HOLIDAYS.
SHE'LL DEMONSTRATE TRADITIONAL TURKEY RECIPE IDEAS WITH
A MORE CONTEMPORARY TWIST.
MARTY, WHEN WE SAY WE'RE GOING TO TALK TURKEY,
WE MEAN IT TODAY, DON'T WE?
>> OH, YES.
>> AND THERE ARE A LOT OF NEW PRODUCTS ON THE MARKET THAT IF
SOMEONE'S THINKING, "WELL, IT'S A WHOLE BIRD, AND THAT'S THE
ONLY THING THERE IS TO COOK," WE'RE GONNA SHOW THEM SOME NEW
PRODUCTS THAT WILL REALLY MAKE COOKING TURKEY A REAL CHALLENGE
AND FUN.
>> OH, WELL, IT'S GONNA BE SO EASY, AND IT CAN BE USED
YEAR-ROUND. TURKEY ISN'T JUST FOR THANKSGIVING. WE USE TURKEY
PRODUCTS IN LOTS OF DIFFERENT RECIPES EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.
>> AND ISN'T IT FUNNY? WE TEND TO THINK OF IT ONLY AT HOLIDAY
TIMES. AND I ALWAYS SAY, "WHY DON'T I DO THIS MORE OFTEN?"
>> WELL, WE'VE TAKEN CARE OF THIS BY ADDING A LOT OF OTHER
PRODUCTS TO THE LINE.
>> LET'S START WITH THE BIG BIRD WE'VE GOT RIGHT NOW.
>> OK. YEAH.
>> THIS IS A--TELL US WHAT'S UNIQUE ABOUT THE WHOLE TURKEY.
>> OK. THIS TURKEY HAS BEEN CALLED--RECEIVED A DRY BRINE,
WHICH MEANS IT WAS RUBBED WITH A SPICE MIXTURE.
>> IS THAT WHAT GIVES IT THE COLOR?
>> RIGHT. THERE'S A CHILI POWDER THAT'S INCORPORATED INTO
THE OTHER SPICES, AND THIS PARTICULAR TURKEY LOOKS A LITTLE
DARKER THAN USUAL BECAUSE WE USED A SPECIAL CHILI FROM
CHIMAYO--THE CHIMAYO CHILI, WHICH TENDS TO BE A LITTLE
DARKER. BUT WHATEVER CHILIS THAT YOU LIKE...
>> LOOKS GOOD TO ME.
>> IN YOUR PART OF THE COUNTRY, YOU CERTAINLY CAN USE THAT. AND
THEN EACH SLICE WOULD HAVE THAT LITTLE BIT OF FLAVOR THAT REALLY
SPICES IT UP. WE'VE FOUND THAT A LOT OF TRADITIONS ARE GREAT,
BUT PEOPLE WANT TO BE CROSS-GENERATIONAL, AND THE
YOUNGER PEOPLE LIKE IT A LITTLE BIT SPICIER, AND THEY WANT TO
ADD SOMETHING THAT'S GONNA REALLY KICK IT UP A NOTCH.
SO THE SPICE-RUBBED TURKEY IS ALL PREPARED THE DAY AHEAD OF
TIME, WHICH IS WONDERFUL.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO COOK YOUR TURKEY
WHETHER IT'S FOR THANKSGIVING OR JUST MOTHER'S DAY OR ANY DAY
OF THE YEAR.
YOU DO THE RUB THE DAY BEFORE, COVER IT TOTALLY, AND PUT IT IN
THE REFRIGERATOR. AND IT'S A DRY BRINE BECAUSE THERE'S NO WATER,
BUT THERE IS SALT AND OTHER SPICES AND INGREDIENTS THAT HELP
TO COAT AND GIVE FLAVOR TO THE TURKEY. THEN THE NEXT DAY, YOU
TAKE IT OUT, ROAST IT ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS.
IT COULDN'T BE EASIER.
>> WHICH IS BY POUNDS AND THAT SORT OF THING. AND THAT'S WHAT
I LIKE ABOUT THE PACKAGING.
YOU CAN READ ON THERE, AND IF YOU'VE NEVER COOKED ONE BEFORE,
YOU CAN COOK IT SUCCESSFULLY.
>> ABSOLUTELY.
EVERY SINGLE TIME.
>> OK, WE GO FROM THE WHOLE BIRD TO--THESE ARE SHISH KEBABS,
BUT WHAT'S DIFFERENT?
>> WELL, THE SPECIAL THING ABOUT THESE TURKEY SHISH KEBABS ARE,
THEY USE A SMOKED TURKEY. AND WE MAKE A FABULOUS SMOKED TURKEY
SAUSAGE, AND THE SMOKED TURKEY SAUSAGE GETS CUT INTO LITTLE
SEGMENTS, LITTLE PIECES.
>> IS IT ALREADY PRECOOKED?
>> IT IS, BUT YOU WOULD WANT TO WARM IT.
>> SURE. BUT THAT REALLY DOES CUT DOWN THE PREPARATION
AND THE COOKING TIME.
>> RIGHT. AND WHAT I LIKE TO DO AS A TRICK FOR ANY OF THESE
RECIPE METHODS--ANY SLICING, DICING, I LIKE TO DO THE DAY
BEFORE. MAYBE WHILE THE DINNER THE NIGHT BEFORE IS COOKING, I
CAN--IF I'M ORGANIZED, YOU KNOW, IF I CAN GET TO THAT STAGE A FEW
DAYS A WEEK; HAVE, YOU KNOW, THE PEPPERS READY AND THE ONIONS
SLICED THE DAY BEFORE.
YOU CAN EVEN SLICE UP THE SAUSAGE THE DAY BEFORE, PUT IT
IN A BAGGIE, REFRIGERATE IT, THEN RIGHT BEFORE DINNER, THREAD
THEM ONTO THE SKEWERS, AND YOU CAN ROAST THIS OR GRILL THIS
IN JUST A FEW MINUTES.
AND ALL THE RECIPES, BY THE WAY, FOR TODAY'S FOODS ARE AVAILABLE
AT BUTTERBALL.COM.
>> OH, SO IF WE FORGET A FEW THINGS, WE CAN GO BACK
AND CHECK.
>> ABSOLUTELY.
>> OK. AND HERE WE HAVE SOMETHING THAT'S MADE WITH--
THIS IS THE DARK MEAT; LIGHT AND DARK MEAT THERE.
>> RIGHT. THIS IS OUR 3-POUND ROAST, AND IT'S A TURKEY ROAST.
IT COMES ALL BREAST OR BREAST AND THIGH, SO YOU CAN USE EITHER
ONE THAT YOU LIKE. YOU FOLLOW THE PACKAGE DIRECTIONS FOR THIS
AND THEN SLICE THE MEAT INTO THIN SLICES, AND WHAT WE'RE
MAKING HERE ARE THE CUBAN SANDWICHES, AND THEY'RE GRILLED.
SO THE--IT'S LAYERED WITH TURKEY AND HAM AND SWISS CHEESE AND
SOME OTHER INGREDIENTS--SOME VEGETABLES--AND THEN YOU WRAP IT
IN FOIL. AND YOU'VE ALREADY PREHEATED YOUR GRILL, AND THEN
THE FOIL PACKETS ARE SET ON THE GRILL--I THINK IT'S A MEDIUM
TEMPERATURE--AND THEN YOU PUT SOMETHING HEAVY ON THIS TO PRESS
IT. IT'S KIND OF LIKE BEFORE PANINI MACHINES.
>> OH, I SEE.
>> YOU PUT EITHER A BIG CAST-IRON SKILLET ON TOP OF
THE FOIL-WRAPPED SANDWICH ON THE GRILL--
>> BECAUSE YOU WANT THE GRILL MARKS. THAT'S TRADITIONAL.
>> YES, THE GRILL MARKS THAT WE HAVE TODAY. OR I SOMETIMES WILL
WRAP A HEAVY BRICK IN FOIL AND USE THAT. AND THIS IS GREAT FOR
A SMALL GROUP, A FAMILY OF 4, OR IF YOU WANT TO DOUBLE THE
RECIPE, JUST USE MORE BRICKS OR MORE CAST-IRON SKILLETS.
>> OR I JUST LOVE WAYS TO USE LEFTOVERS, AND THIS WOULD BE
A GREAT WAY TO. AND I WAS LOOKING--WHILE YOU WERE TALKING,
I WAS LOOKING ON HERE. THEY EVEN HAVE A CROCK-POT METHOD,
AND, YOU KNOW, IT SEEMS LIKE CROCK-POT COOKERY IS REALLY
BECOMING POPULAR AGAIN.
>> RIGHT. YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING SET UP THE NIGHT
BEFORE. BEFORE YOU GO TO WORK, PUT THIS IN THE CROCK POT WITH
THE INGREDIENTS AND SET IT ON THE PROPER TEMPERATURE,
AND IT'S READY FOR DINNER.
>> I LOVE THAT.
>> YEAH.
>> AND I ALSO LOVE CAJUN FLAVORING, SO THIS JUST FITS
THE BILL RIGHT HERE.
>> NOW, THIS IS THE SAME PRODUCT AS THIS ONE, EXCEPT IT HAS A
CAJUN FLAVORING TO IT, SO YOU GET THAT LITTLE EXTRA SPICE
TO IT. AND THAT'S WHAT YOU SEE AROUND THE RIM OF THIS SLICE
ON THIS SANDWICH.
>> OH, KIND OF LIKE THE RUB.
GIVES YOU THE SAME EFFECT.
>> YES, A SIMILAR EFFECT. AND THAT HAS GRILLED VEGETABLES, AND
IT'S ON A KAISER ROLL, AND IT HAS A WONDERFUL KIND OF A BACON
MAYONNAISE SPREAD THAT YOU PUT ON--LIKE A BACON RANCH SPREAD
THAT YOU PUT ON THE BUN.
JUST DELICIOUS.
>> WELL, AND WITH EACH ONE OF THESE RECIPES, I WAS JUST
THINKING, LIKE WHEN YOU TALKED ABOUT THE CHEESE AND THE SLICES
AND THINGS, THESE ARE SO GOOD, BECAUSE YOU CAN JUST CUSTOM-MAKE
THEM OR LET PEOPLE BUILD THEIR OWN IF THEY'RE EATING WITH YOU.
>> ABSOLUTELY. YOU CAN MAKE THIS KIND OF AN OPTIONAL--YOU COULD
EVEN OFFER BOTH OF THESE TYPES OF SANDWICHES IF YOU'RE HAVING
A FOOTBALL PARTY OR, YOU KNOW, PEOPLE OVER FOR THE FOURTH OF
JULY, EVEN. THIS IS KIND OF A LITTLE TWIST ON THAT.
>> WELL, AND ESPECIALLY WITH THE GRILLING. I THINK WE ALWAYS
LIKE TO GRILL IN THE SUMMER.
>> OH, IT'S FUN.
>> I CAN MAKE MY HUSBAND DO THAT. WELL, MARTY, THANK YOU
SO MUCH. IT'S NICE TO KNOW WHAT SOME OF THE NEW PRODUCTS ARE.
AND IT'S JUST SO EASY AND, LIKE YOU SAY, CALL THAT BUTTERBALL
TALK LINE AND ASK QUESTIONS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF HOW
YOU'RE STUFFING THE TURKEY.
>> YEAH. BUTTERBALL.COM IS OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND. THE TALK LINE'S
SEASONAL WITH NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER, BUT BUTTERBALL.COM--
>> THAT'S THE ONE TO GO TO YEAR-ROUND FOR HELP.
>> YES, THAT'S CORRECT.
>> WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING WITH US TODAY.
>> HAPPY TO BE HERE.
>> ANN, I'VE BEEN SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO COME, BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS
DO SOMETHING NEW AND EXCITING AND BRIGHT COLORS AND
INTERESTING THINGS TO DO, BUT THEY'RE ALWAYS EASY,
AND THAT'S WHAT I LOVE.
>> YEAH, QUICK AND EASY.
>> WELL, QUILTING IS SO POPULAR--CONTINUES TO BE.
STAMPING IS JUST, UH, BEYOND POPULAR. YOU'VE COMBINED THOSE.
HOW DID YOU DO THIS?
>> I HAVE. I'VE COME UP WITH A CONCEPT FOR FAUX QUILTING
SO YOU CAN STAMP OUT YOUR QUILT, BECAUSE EVERYBODY CAN'T GO AND
BUY ALL THOSE FABRICS THEY WANT, SO WITH THE STAMPS, THEY CAN
HAVE A SET OF STAMPS AND USE ANY COLOR COMBINATION THEY HAVE OF
INKS AND COME UP WITH ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES, AND IT'S QUICK.
>> AND IT'S QUICK. WELL, WE'VE JUST GOT TO SHOW PEOPLE,
BECAUSE I HAD NO IDEA, REALLY, WHAT YOU--WHEN IT SAID "FAUX
QUILTING." THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF A LITTLE PILLOW TOP THAT
NORMALLY WE WOULD HAVE QUILTED AND HAD TO HAVE BOUGHT ALL THESE
DIFFERENT LITTLE FABRICS OR THE--WHAT DO THEY CALL
THEM?--THE QUARTER YARDS.
>> FAT QUARTERS.
>> FAT QUARTERS, UH-HUH.
BUT THESE ARE ALL STAMPED.
>> YEP.
>> UNBELIEVABLE.
HERE IT IS IN A LITTLE BIT BIGGER SAMPLE--MIGHT BE
A LITTLE EASIER TO SEE.
AGAIN, THIS IS A LITTLE TABLE RUNNER OR SOMETHING.
>> YEP.
>> AND, UH, IT'S JUST-- I MEAN, YOU HAVE TO...
IT'S JUST HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THESE ARE STAMPED ON.
>> AND IT TOOK, LIKE, TWO HOURS TO DO THAT WHOLE THING.
>> DO THE WHOLE THING?
>> YEP.
>> OH! OK. AND WE'LL SAVE THE BEST FOR LAST AFTER YOU SHOW US
HOW TO DO IT. BUT, OF COURSE, WE NEED STAMPS, AND THAT'S
WHAT YOU HAVE COME UP WITH.
YOU CAME UP WITH THE CONCEPT OF QUILT-LOOKING STAMPS.
>> YEP.
>> SO WE CAN SEE SOME. YOU JUST HAVE ZILLIONS OF THESE.
>> YEAH, AND THERE'S MORE COMING OUT, SO IT--THEY'RE IN CLEAR
AND RED RUBBER.
>> OH, THAT'S RIGHT.
>> SO SOME PEOPLE HAVE PREFERENCE OVER ONE
OR THE OTHER.
>> UH-HUH.
SOMETIMES ONE'S EASIER TO SEE, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU PUT THEM
ON THOSE BLOCKS WHEN YOU STAMP THEM, SO THAT'S GOOD.
AND I LOVE THE BRIGHT COLORS, BUT, OF COURSE, YOU CAN--THESE
ARE MORE PASTEL, SO IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ALL BRIGHTS.
>> RIGHT. YOU KNOW, IT'S JUST WHAT YOUR PREFERENCE IS.
>> MM-HMM. AND WHAT I LIKE IS, YOU SAID YOU SORT OF MAKE
A QUILT BLOCK FIRST ON PAPER.
>> I LIKE TO TRY IT OUT ON PAPER BECAUSE YOU CAN TRY DIFFERENT
COMBINATIONS AND JUST SEE WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE
AND THEN GO ON YOUR FABRIC.
>> THAT'S A GOOD IDEA. YOU DON'T WANT TO INVEST--LIKE IN QUILTING
SOMETIMES, YOU KNOW, IF YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE, YOU'VE GOT TO
MAKE THE WHOLE BLOCK OVER IF YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE WITH ONE
OF THE LITTLE SECTIONS, SO...
OK, WE'VE SHOWED THE STAMPS, THE INK, AND THE PATTERNS,
AND SO NOW WE'RE GOING TO FIRST PREPARE ONE ON PAPER.
>> OK, SO YOU'RE ABLE TO EASILY--THESE ARE PATENT
PENDING, SO WHAT THEY ARE, THEY DON'T HAVE ANY LIP ON THEM.
>> UH-HUH.
>> SO YOU'RE ABLE TO BUTT THEM RIGHT UP NEXT TO EACH OTHER,
AND YOU CAN STAMP IT ALL OUT TOGETHER. SO YOU CAN MAKE
A BLOCK AND PUT ALL YOUR LITTLE PIECES TOGETHER.
>> BUT NOW THIS WILL MEAN THAT WE'RE GOING TO STAMP
THIS WHOLE THING IN ONE COLOR.
>> YOU CAN, YES. OTHERWISE-- >> THE DIFFERENT PIECES MAKE IT
LOOK LIKE INDIVIDUAL TRIANGLES.
I SEE.
>> YEP, AND--OR YOU COULD TAKE AND INK HALF OF IT WITH ONE
COLOR AND INK THE OTHER HALF WITH ANOTHER COLOR IF YOU WANTED
DIFFERENT COLORS.
>> BUT NOT HAVING THAT LIP ON IT IS THE KEY, BECAUSE YOU CAN GET
IT RIGHT UP THERE NEXT TO IT.
>> RIGHT, SO YOU'RE ABLE TO JUST PUT THEM ALL RIGHT NEXT TO EACH
OTHER. AND THEN YOU JUST...
THESE INKS ARE REALLY JUICY.
>> AND THAT'S--THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE.
SOMETIMES I'VE USED THEM AND, YOU KNOW, IT'LL STAMP OUT
NICELY ON SOMETHING, BUT IT'S NOT COVERED.
>> RIGHT. SO YOU JUST--I'M GONNA WIPE THAT OFF RIGHT THERE.
>> UH-HUH.
>> AND YOU'RE ABLE TO JUST LAY IT RIGHT DOWN, AND I LIKE TO
GIVE IT A GOOD PRESS.
>> MM-HMM. OH, GOSH.
>> OK, SO I GOT A LITTLE BIT TOO MUCH INK THERE.
>> OH, BECAUSE IT GOT DOWN ON THE EDGE.
>> RIGHT, BECAUSE IT'S SUCH A NEW STAMP OR, YOU KNOW, INK PAD.
>> UH-HUH.
>> SO YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.
BUT THE KEY IS, SOME PEOPLE CAN'T GET THINGS STRAIGHT...
>> MM-HMM. YEAH.
>> SO THIS IS A LASER SQUARE, SO YOU'RE ABLE TO PUT IT
EXACTLY--YOU KNOW, YOU MAKE YOUR FIRST IMPRESSION,
AND YOU LINE IT UP...
>> I DON'T KNOW IF THEY CAN SEE IT, BUT THAT'S A RED LASER LINE
THAT YOU CAN PUT RIGHT AT THE VERY BOTTOM OF THE FIRST BLOCK.
>> OF THE FIRST BLOCK. AND THEN YOU'RE ABLE TO TURN YOUR BLOCK
WHICHEVER WAY YOU WANT.
>> MM-HMM.
>> AND YOU CAN LINE IT UP, BECAUSE THE ACRYLIC BLOCKS
ARE CLEAR...
>> UH-HUH.
>> AND YOU CAN MAKE YOUR SECOND IMPRESSION, AND THEN
THEY'RE NICE AND STRAIGHT.
>> OH, HOW NEAT!
THAT IS REALLY SOMETHING.
MAYBE THE LASER SHOWS A LITTLE BETTER LIKE THAT.
>> RIGHT.
>> UH-HUH.
>> SO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU GO TO FABRIC...
>> MM-HMM.
>> IS, YOU NEED TO HAVE INK-- THIS INK IS FROM CLEARSNAP,
AND IT'S CRAFTER'S INK, SO IT IS FABRIC-SAFE.
>> OH, OK. DO THEY USUALLY SAY ON THERE IF IT--YEAH, IT SAYS
"FOR FABRIC, WOOD, AND MORE."
>> RIGHT. SO THIS ONE WAS ALREADY DONE EARLIER, AND YOU
CAN DO IT ON COLOR FABRIC.
>> SURE. UH-HUH.
>> SO THIS IS BLACK INK ON COLORED FABRIC TO GIVE YOU
A WHOLE NEW LOOK.
>> YEAH. BECAUSE THIS, THEN, LOOKS LIKE AN ADDITIONAL LITTLE
BLOCK THAT YOU PIECED IN THERE.
>> YEAH.
>> CUTE.
>> AND WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS, YOU ALWAYS NEED TO COME OVER
AND HEAT-SET IT.
>> OH, THE INK.
>> I JUST DO THAT WITH AN IRON.
>> UH-HUH. ON DRY OR...
>> YEAH, I HAVE IT ON DRY.
>> OK.
>> AND I JUST DO IT FOR A FEW SECONDS, AND THAT'S IT. AND THEN
YOU CAN GO THROUGH A WASHING MACHINE WITH IT AND EVERYTHING,
SO, I MEAN, IT'S THAT EASY.
AND THEN YOU TAKE...
ONCE YOU HAVE A WHOLE QUILT DONE...
>> MM-HMM.
>> YOU TAKE YOUR FABRIC AND YOUR BATTING...
>> JUST LIKE YOU DO IN REGULAR SEWING QUILTING.
>> RIGHT. AND WHATEVER BACKING FABRIC YOU'RE GONNA USE,
AND YOU TAKE IT TO YOUR SEWING MACHINE AND DECIDE
HOW YOU'RE GONNA QUILT IT.
>> HA HA HA!
>> IT'S THAT EASY. I MEAN, YOU CAN FOLLOW THE LINES, OR YOU
CAN DO CRISSCROSS OR, YOU KNOW, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MEANDER...
>> UH-HUH, WITH A FREE MOTION.
>> SO THEN IN THE END--YEAH.
>> THIS--THIS IS A WHOLE QUILT.
IT'S JUST AMAZING TO THINK THAT THIS HAS BEEN STAMPED.
EACH ONE OF THESE BLOCKS HAS BEEN STAMPED.
>> YEP, STAMPED AND THEN I USED THE LASER SQUARE TO HELP GET
THOSE STRAIGHT, YOU KNOW.
>> AND YOU CAN SEE ON--YOU CAN FEEL THE BATTING INSIDE, SO IT
GIVES IT THAT SOFT BASE. THIS IS JUST--AND YOU'LL PUT A BORDER...
>> I'LL PUT A BINDING ON IT.
I HAVEN'T DECIDED IF I WANT TO STAMP OUT A BINDING YET OR USE,
YOU KNOW, A COLOR. YEAH, SO...
>> AND THIS IS JUST-- ON THIS CASE, IT'S JUST
STRAIGHT STITCHING, SO ANY MACHINE DOES THAT.
>> YEP. I JUST WENT IN BETWEEN THE BLOCKS. THAT'S ALL I DID.
>> UH-HUH. WELL, HOW FAST IS THAT? I CAN DO THIS.
>> YEAH. QUICK AND EASY.
AND THE RESULT--YOU WOULDN'T KNOW IT WAS STAMPED.
>> NO. UH-UH. I THOUGHT IT WAS A SEWING QUILTED ONE.
WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH, ANN, AND CONGRATULATIONS ON ALL YOUR
NEW PRODUCTS. THAT HAS TO BE A REAL--A REAL SOMETHING
THAT YOU'RE PROUD OF.
>> YEAH. IT'S EXCITING, YOU KNOW, BECAUSE YOU THINK
ABOUT IT, AND THEN WHEN IT COMES TO MARKET, IT'S REALLY FUN.
>> YEAH. WHEN YOU GO IN THE STORE AND SEE YOUR NAME,
I THINK THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL.
>> YEAH.
>> WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHOWING US HOW TO DO
THIS STAMPED QUILTING.
>> THANK YOU.
>> SUE, IT'S REALLY NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE. AND WHEN I FIRST HEARD
YOU SPEAK AT A CONFERENCE I WAS ATTENDING, UM, I THOUGHT, "WELL,
SHE WOULD BE AN INTERESTING GUEST." AND THEN WHEN I REALIZED
AFTER TALKING TO YOU YOUR BUSY SCHEDULE, I THOUGHT, "LET'S DO
A SEGMENT ON STRESS," BECAUSE I--IF ANYONE EXPERIENCES THAT,
IT WOULD BE YOU.
AND YET I THINK WE ALL DO, INCLUDING OUR KIDS AND
GRANDKIDS. BUT I LIKE YOUR IDEA OF JUST HAVING FUN, IF WE COULD
ALL LEARN TO DO THAT.
>> MM-HMM. WELL, YOU KNOW, WE LIVE IN A BUSY WORLD, AND THE
TRUTH IS, WE GET STRESSED OUT.
AND SOME OF IT'S SELF-INDUCED, AND SOME OF IT IS EXTERNAL.
WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
SO MY THEORY IS THAT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT'S HAPPENING TO
YOU, AND THERE'S DIFFERENT LEVELS OF STRESS, AND THEN YOU
NEED TO BE ABLE TO REMEDY THAT.
SO, YOU KNOW, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, YOU KNOW, THE OLD "FIGHT OR
FLIGHT" SYNDROME, SO, YOU KNOW, WITH THE STRESS RESPONSE.
SOME OF US STAND THERE AND FIGHT, AND SOME OF US JUST RUN.
>> MM-HMM.
>> WELL, YOU KNOW, NORMAL STRESS IS SOMETHING THAT'S TRANSITORY,
AND IT COMES FOR A LITTLE WHILE, AND IT GOES AWAY. YOU KNOW, YOU
HAVE A TEST, MAYBE, YOU HAVE TO TAKE IN SCHOOL OR SOMETHING LIKE
THAT, SO YOU GET STRESSED OUT.
YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE GOES UP WHEN YOU TAKE A TEST.
>> MM-HMM.
>> THEN YOUR BODY GOES BACK TO NORMAL. WELL, WHAT'S HAPPENING
IN OUR CULTURE BECAUSE WE'RE SO BUSY IS THAT, UM, WE ARE UNDER
STRESS FOR TOO LONG A PERIOD OF TIME, AND OUR BODIES ARE NOT--
>> WITHOUT COMING DOWN.
>> RIGHT. EXACTLY.
SO OUR BODIES ARE REALLY NOT DESIGNED FOR THAT.
AND OF COURSE, THE SCIENTISTS CALL IT HYPER STRESS.
SO, YOU KNOW, NORMAL STRESS IS, YOU KNOW, I'M GETTING READY
TO JUMP OFF THE SKI SLOPE.
I'M SCARED, BUT I'M READY AND...
>> THE ADRENALINE.
>> PERFORMANCE. RIGHT.
SO IT'S A PERFORMANCE-ENHANCING PIECE. BUT WHEN IT GETS TO BE
TOO MUCH AND OVER TOO MUCH TIME, IT CAN BE DAMAGING TO YOUR BODY.
AND SO WE'RE REALLY SEEING SOME PRETTY ASTOUNDING NUMBERS IN
TERMS OF HEALTH AND STRESS IN OUR SOCIETY, AND WE'RE SEEING
IT, OF COURSE, AT THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE. I THINK, LIKE, 3 OUT OF
5 VISITS ARE SOMETHING LIKE STRESS-RELATED.
SO IT'S SIGNIFICANT.
>> BUT IT SOUNDS EASY, AND THEY WOULD PROBABLY SAY,
"YOU'VE GOT TO ELIMINATE STRESS." WELL, WE CAN'T
ELIMINATE IT ALL, LIKE YOU MENTIONED. WHAT ARE SOME THINGS
THAT WE CAN DO, THAT WE CAN CONTROL?
>> YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO CAUSE YOUR OWN
STRESS, YOU KNOW. I MEAN, ARE YOU--DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CLEAN
HOUSE EVERY TUESDAY? YOU KNOW, I HAVE FRIENDS THAT, YOU KNOW, YOU
HAVE TO CLEAN IT EVERY TUESDAY.
I JUST CLEAN IT WHEN I INVITE PEOPLE OVER. SO, YOU KNOW, YOU
HAVE TO PUT THINGS INTO YOUR LIFE THAT ACTUALLY HELP
ALLEVIATE THE STRESS.
SO SOME THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO ARE, OF COURSE, THE SAME OLD
THINGS THAT EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT--IS, YOU KNOW, HAVE AN
EXERCISE PROGRAM. I JUST SAY, "THINK ABOUT EXERCISE" BECAUSE,
YOU KNOW, EXERCISE IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT'S...
>> THAT'S STRESSFUL FOR ME.
>> I READ AN ARTICLE ONE TIME THAT SAID THAT BASKETBALL
PLAYERS--IF THEY SPEND AN HOUR VISUALIZING THEMSELVES IN THE
GAME, THEY HAD AS GOOD A CHANCE AS SOMEBODY WHO PRACTICED EVERY
DAY, SO I THINK VISUALIZING MIGHT BE A REALLY GOOD THING
TO DO. BUT EXERCISE IS GOOD.
ALL KIDDING ASIDE, WE NEED TO BE ACTIVE, AND AS A SOCIETY, WE'RE
NOT DOING THAT. AND OF COURSE, OBESITY IS ONE OF THE THINGS
THAT IS A BYPRODUCT OF SOME OF THE STRESS, AND THAT COSTS
HEALTH CARE A LOT OF MONEY.
SO, YOU KNOW, YOU STAY CONNECTED TO THAT KIND OF AN EXERCISE
PROGRAM. I THINK YOU NEED TO PUT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE--LIKE,
MAKE BETTER CHOICES SO THAT YOU ARE NOT STRESSING YOURSELF OUT.
>> AND MAYBE PRIORITIZING, TOO.
>> WELL, AND ALSO, YOU KNOW, IF YOU'VE MADE THESE INTERNAL RULES
ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO WHEN, YOU HAVE TO LOOK AND SEE,
"ARE THEY REALLY NECESSARY, OR ARE THEY THINGS THAT I'M
IMPOSING UPON MYSELF?"
I THINK WE DO THAT A LOT, IS WE IMPOSE OUR OWN STRESS.
SO YOU CONTROL THE THINGS THAT YOU CAN CONTROL, AND THEN THE
OTHER THINGS--LIFE HAPPENS, AND IT'S UNEXPECTED, AND WE DON'T
REALLY KNOW WHAT'S GONNA COME, SO YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED FOR
THAT--THE INEVENTUALITIES OF YOU CAN'T PLAN EVERY SINGLE THING.
AND, YOU KNOW, YOU'VE SEEN SOME OF THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE JUST--
YOU KNOW, THEY HAVE TO HAVE SUCH TIGHT CONTROL OVER EVERYTHING.
>> EVERYTHING. MM-HMM.
>> SO I THINK YOU HAVE TO TAKE-- YOU HAVE TO REALLY THINK THROUGH
WHAT IS STRESSING YOU OUT.
I THINK YOU HAVE TO STAY CONNECTED TO SOME KIND OF
EXERCISE PROGRAM, WHETHER THAT IS STRENUOUS, OR WHETHER IT'S
JUST WALKING. YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. AND I THINK YOU HAVE
TO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR, AND I THINK THAT'S A BIG ISSUE.
>> WELL, IT CERTAINLY HELPS.
BACKING UP JUST A LITTLE BIT, DO YOU THINK TODAY'S YOUTH ARE--
I KNOW YOU MENTIONED THE OBESITY PROBLEM, AND WE'RE SEEING THAT
IN YOUNG PEOPLE, TOO.
DO YOU THINK PARENTS ARE PUTTING SO MANY, UH, RULES AND
REGULATIONS ON KIDS AND THE ACTIVITIES THAT THEY'RE IN--
ARE TODAY'S KIDS UNDER MORE STRESS THAN MAYBE WHEN
WE WERE...
>> WITHOUT A DOUBT. KIDS HAVE A WHOLE DIFFERENT LIFESTYLE
THAN WE DID WHEN WE WERE KIDS.
AND THEY WERE DOING A STUDY IN L.A. OF ONE FAMILY THAT
ACTUALLY--I THINK THEY HAD, ACTUALLY, 8 FAMILIES, AND THEY
WERE TRACKING THESE FAMILIES OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, AND THEY
WATCHED HOW THEY--I MEAN, KIDS WERE IN THE VAN. THEY HAD A
REFRIGERATOR IN THE VAN WHERE THEY WOULD STOCK SNACKS.
THEY WOULD DO THEIR HOMEWORK ON THE WAY FROM SCHOOL TO THEIR
SPORTING ACTIVITIES AND THINGS LIKE THAT, YOU KNOW.
AND I WAS JUST SPEAKING TO A GROUP OF PEOPLE RECENTLY,
AND I SAID, "YOU KNOW, I PLAYED SPORTS IN SCHOOL TOO. MY PARENTS
DIDN'T COME REGULARLY TO MY GAMES, YOU KNOW? IT WAS A
DIFFERENT KIND OF EXPECTATION."
SO SOME OF THE RESEARCH WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, WE HAVE BECOME
A CHILD-DOMINANT SOCIETY.
WHATEVER OUR KIDS WANT TO DO IS REALLY IMPORTANT, SO WE'RE
PUTTING ALL THIS STRESS ON OUR KIDS FOR PERFORMANCE, GRADES,
GETTING INTO SCHOOL, SATs...
SO I DON'T--YOU KNOW, THE VERDICT'S OUT
WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO THEM WHEN THEY GROW UP.
>> THAT'LL BE INTERESTING.
>> WE SURE KNOW WHAT THE IMPACT IS FOR US. WE KNOW WHAT THE
IMPACT OF STRESS IS FOR US.
>> WELL, YOU MENTIONED HUMOR, AND YOU'VE BROUGHT SOME THINGS.
LET'S GO THROUGH THESE.
>> I DID, BECAUSE I THINK THAT-- I THINK YOU OUGHT TO TAKE LIFE
LIGHTLY, AND SOME OF THE RESEARCH INDICATES THAT,
ACTUALLY, LAUGHTER CAN HELP ALLEVIATE STRESS AND ALSO
ALLEVIATE HEART DISEASE.
SO WE'RE REALLY SEEING FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT THERE'S BEEN A
POSITIVE EFFECT. I MEAN, PEOPLE HAVE TALKED ABOUT IT A LONG
TIME, BUT LAUGHTER DOES-- EITHER THE DROP IN STRESS IS DUE
TO THE ENDORPHINS THAT KICK IN OR IT'S THAT IT CONSTRICTS--
OPENS UP THE BLOOD VESSELS.
>> TAKES YOUR MIND OFF, MAYBE, WHAT YOU WERE SO STRESSED ABOUT.
>> MAYBE THAT'S IT.
SO I HAVE DEVELOPED THE "ROAD RAGE SURVIVAL KIT,"
BECAUSE ROAD RAGE IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS, YOU KNOW, UM...
I WAS DRIVING TO ASPEN ONE TIME--ASPEN, COLORADO--AND
OUTSIDE OF THE TOWN, THERE WAS, LIKE, A HIGHWAY SIGN THAT SAID,
"FOR ROAD RAGE, DIAL 611" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
AND AS I WAS DRIVING THROUGH, I THOUGHT, "WELL, IS THAT LIKE--
DO I CALL THEM? DO I REPORT THEM, OR DO I REPORT MYSELF?"
LIKE AAH! YOU KNOW? "THIS IS IT!" I WASN'T QUITE SURE.
SO THEN I THOUGHT, "YOU KNOW, MAYBE A ROAD RAGE BOX WOULD
HELP." SO I CAME UP WITH THIS THING, AND I HAVE PUT FUNNY
THINGS IN THERE, BECAUSE AS YOU KNOW, YOU'RE DRIVING ALONG THE
ROAD, AND, UM...
NOW, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET INSURANCE IF YOU HAVE ALL THESE
THINGS, BUT WHEN YOU DRIVE BY, AND PEOPLE ARE UPSET--IF YOU
DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT, PEOPLE ARE JUST UPSET AT YOU, SO YOU
CAN ACTUALLY SMILE AND USE THIS AS--YOU KNOW, LIGHTEN IT UP
FOR PEOPLE. IT'S KIND OF FUN.
AND I ALSO KIND OF--NOW, I'M-- MY MOTHER...I WAS RAISED IN A
VERY PRIM AND PROPER HOUSEHOLD, AND SHE WAS FROM THE EAST COAST,
AND WE--YOU KNOW, THERE WAS NO WHITE AFTER LABOR DAY;
ALL THE KINDS OF RULES THAT...
>> MM-HMM.
>> AND SO I WOULD NEVER, EVER, LIKE, FLIP THE BIRD AT
SOMEBODY, LIKE, AS I'M DRIVING IN THE CAR. BUT THEN I THOUGHT,
"WELL, YOU KNOW," BECAUSE THEN SOMEBODY MIGHT SHOOT YOU,
WHICH WOULD REALLY KIND OF DROP THE STRESS LEVEL A LOT IF YOU
WERE DEAD. BUT, YOU KNOW...
BUT ANYWAY, I THOUGHT, "WELL, IF I HAVE A BIRD--IF I HAVE THIS
BIRD ON A STICK AND THEN SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING MEAN TO ME, IF I
JUST HAND THIS..." YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ACTIVE AT ALL.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT THEM.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO STICK YOUR TONGUE OUT--NOTHING.
YOU JUST HOLD THIS BIRD UP.
THEY EVENTUALLY GET IT, BUT THEY'RE 5 MILES DOWN THE ROAD
BEFORE THEY REALIZE THAT THEY...
AND THEY'RE LIKE, "WAS THAT THE BIRD?"
>> AND THEN YOU PASS THEM, AND THEY'RE LAUGHING.
>> WELL, MAYBE. MAYBE.
NOT ALWAYS. NOT ALWAYS.
BUT, YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE TO HAVE FUN, AND I THINK THAT LIFE HAS
GOTTEN SO SERIOUS AND WE TAKE OURSELVES SO SERIOUSLY THAT I
THINK IT'S RIDICULOUS, SO I HAVE TRIED TO, YOU KNOW, DO SOME
SHOPPING SO THAT I FIND THINGS.
ONE OF MY BIG ISSUES ARE CELL PHONES.
>> UH-HUH.
>> I THINK WE ARE WAY TOO CONNECTED, AND SO--AND I JUST
KIND OF EVEN HATE MY CELL PHONE, BECAUSE I--IT'S NEVER QUITE THE
RIGHT THING, SO I FOUND THIS.
AND NOW I CAN JUST WALK AROUND THE GROCERY STORE, AND I USE MY
PHONE, AND MY GRANDKIDS LOVE IT.
SO IF YOU'RE DRIVING IN THE CAR, AND YOU'RE LIKE THIS,
IT'S REALLY FUNNY, BECAUSE THEY THINK, "OH, MY GOSH,
SHE'S ON A LANDLINE."
SO, YOU KNOW, THE WHOLE IDEA IS THAT YOU CAN CONTROL THE STRESS
THAT YOU'RE UNDER, AND THERE ARE THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T CONTROL,
BUT THE THINGS THAT YOU CAN CONTROL, YOU SHOULD REALLY
LIGHTEN UP A LITTLE BIT ABOUT IT AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT.
>> WELL, I AGREE. I THINK HUMOR--WHETHER YOU'VE HAD
SURGERY AND YOU CAN LOOK AT THE FUN THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED,
IT MAKES YOUR HEALING GO FASTER.
AND IT'S SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO TEACH KIDS AT AN EARLY AGE...
>> IT IS.
>> TO NOT TAKE OURSELVES SO SERIOUSLY.
>> RIGHT. AND YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S NOT? IT'S NOT--UM, I'M NOT
TAKING STRESS LIGHTLY. I WANT TO BE CLEAR THAT IT'S--IT IS
IMPORTANT, AND WE HAVE IT, AND IT IS CAUSING HEALTH PROBLEMS,
AND NOT EVERYTHING CAN BE SOLVED BY A ROAD WARRIOR KIT OR A BIRD
OR A CLOWN NOSE, BUT YOU DO NEED TO PUT LIFE IN PERSPECTIVE.
AND YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER THAT PIECE OF IT, SO I THINK THAT'S
THE ONLY WAY THAT WE'RE GONNA CONQUER THIS STRESS MONSTER,
IS TO MAKE SOME BETTER CHOICES FOR OURSELVES.
>> GOOD POINTS.
WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH.
I ENJOYED VISITING WITH YOU.
>> THANK YOU.
>> I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW TODAY. NEXT TIME ON "CREATIVE
LIVING," WE'LL LEARN HOW TO RELIEVE PAIN IN 3 SECONDS,
SHOW LOTS OF DIFFERENT WAYS TO USE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE,
AND WE'LL TALK ABOUT CABINET DESIGN FOR BATHROOMS.
ONE OF MY NEXT GUESTS IS A DOCTOR OF ORIENTAL MEDICINE,
AND HE'S ALSO WRITTEN A BOOK ON RELIEVING PAIN IN 3 SECONDS.
HE'S GOING TO DEMONSTRATE SEVERAL TECHNIQUES FOR DEALING
WITH VARIOUS TYPES OF PAIN, INCLUDING ASTHMA, ALLERGIES,
FIBROMYALGIA, AND POSTSURGERY.
ANOTHER GUEST, WHO WORKS FOR TEXASWEET CITRUS MARKETING,
INCORPORATED, WILL EXPLAIN ALL OF THE INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT
GRAPEFRUIT JUICE, INCLUDING THE BEST WAY TO SQUEEZE THE
GRAPEFRUIT, DIFFERENT JUICING DEVICES, AND SHE'LL SHARE
SOME FUN THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH GRAPEFRUIT JUICE.
AND DID YOU KNOW THAT BATHROOMS ARE THE SECOND MOST COMMONLY
REMODELED ROOMS IN THE HOUSE?
ANOTHER GUEST WILL SHARE SOME TIPS FOR HOMEOWNERS WHO ARE
CONSIDERING A BATH REMODEL.
ALL OF THESE TOPICS WILL BE FEATURED ON THE NEXT
"CREATIVE LIVING" SHOW. IF YOU EVER HAVE COMMENTS OR
SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS FOR SHOWS, YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT
SHERYL.BORDEN@ENMU.EDU.
I'D ALSO LIKE TO ASK YOU TO BECOME A FAN OF "CREATIVE
LIVING" ON FACEBOOK.
JUST GO TO FACEBOOK.COM, AND IN THE SEARCH WINDOW,
TYPE IN "CREATIVE LIVING WITH SHERYL BORDEN."
I HOPE YOU'LL PLAN TO JOIN ME NEXT TIME FOR "CREATIVE LIVING."
>> WE ARE VERY PLEASED TO OFFER A NEW BOOKLET THAT ACCOMPANIES
THIS SERIES OF "CREATIVE LIVING." THIS BOOKLET IS TITLED
"THE 6700 SERIES," AND IT FEATURES A WONDERFUL COLLECTION
OF IDEAS AND INFORMATION, AND IT'S AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE
ON OUR WEB SITE.
POSTED AS A PDF FILE, YOU CAN SIMPLY DOWNLOAD
THE ENTIRE BOOKLET OR JUST THE SEGMENTS YOU'RE
MOST INTERESTED IN.
YOU'LL FIND INFORMATION ON FOODS, NUTRITION,
CLOTHING, FASHION, HEALTH & BEAUTY, HOME
DECORATING, AND MUCH MORE.
FOR YOUR COPY OF THIS NEW BOOKLET, GO TO OUR WEB SITE AT
KENW.ORG AND THEN CLICK ON "CREATIVE LIVING."
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOOKLET SECTION, AND YOU CAN CLICK
ON THIS BOOKLET OR ON ANY OF THE OTHER BOOKLETS WE HAVE
AVAILABLE ONLINE.
JUST GO TO KENW.ORG, CLICK ON "CREATIVE LIVING,"
AND DOWNLOAD THE BOOKLET TITLED "THE 6700 SERIES."
WE ALSO INVITE YOU TO SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE E-NEWSLETTER.
JUST GO TO KENW.ORG AND CLICK ON THE "SIGN UP NOW!" BUTTON AND
INPUT YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS.
THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT.
YOU'LL ENJOY READING AN UP-TO-DATE NEWSLETTER
FILLED WITH INTERESTING TOPICS AND INFORMATION.
THANK YOU.