DCMP Awarded "Audio Description Game Changer: Education" at 2022 ACB Audio Description Awards Gala
We are excited to announce that DCMP was presented with the Audio Description Game Changer: Education award during the 2022 American Council of the Blind (ACB) Audio Description Awards Gala. This came as a surprise, and we are honored to be recognized alongside two other Game Changer award winners, Microsoft and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
The awards were presented at the 2022 ACB Audio Description Awards Gala, held on November 29 to celebrate outstanding achievements, help increase awareness, and demonstrate the powerful effect the inclusion of audio description has on the lives of individuals who are blind or have low vision. It was hosted by Thomas Reid with audio description by Nefertiti Matos Olivares, and featured celebrity guests that included Stevie Wonder, Ewan McGregor, Nesta Cooper, Camryn Manheim, and the cast of iCarly.
At DCMP, we’re committed to accessibility in education, including high-quality audio description that provides more equitable learning experiences for blind and low vision students. We challenge ourselves to maintain high standards and to continually innovate to improve content and delivery for students, teachers, and families.
None of our work would be possible without the U.S. Department of Education, whose funding and support have enabled thousands of videos to be made accessible and available through DCMP’s platform. We’re also very grateful for the amazing content creators and distributors who partner with DCMP. And we very much appreciate the efforts and leadership of the American Council of the Blind toward improving accessibility and increasing awareness of audio description.
This year's honorees were carefully selected by a diverse group of leaders from ACB's Audio Description Awards Committee, who identified recipients as both audio description content leaders and media industry game changers.
- Outstanding Audio Description Visionary - Larry Goldberg
- Audio Description Game Changer: Innovation - Microsoft
- Audio Description Game Changer: Inclusion - Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Audio Description Game Changer: Education - Described and Captioned Media Program
- Outstanding Achievement: Live Events - Paramount Global
- Outstanding Achievement: Spanish Media (USA) - Telemundo/Hearst
- Outstanding Achievement: International Media - AMI
- Audio Description People's Choice Award - Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+/Lucasfilm/Audio Description by Deluxe)
- Silver Star Sponsors — Amazon, Disney, Microsoft, Paramount Global, Warner Bros. Discovery
- Bronze Star Sponsors — Charter Spectrum, Keyword Studios, Fox
- National Association of Broadcasters
The Audio Description Awards Gala celebrated the inclusivity and accessibility of media by recognizing those in television, streaming and the film industry's achievements in audio description for accessible media for blind and low vision audiences.
The American Council of the Blind is a national member-driven organization representing Americans who are blind and visually impaired. For more than 60 years, ACB has become a leader in national, state, local, and even international advocacy efforts. With 68 affiliates, ACB strives to increase independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve the quality of life for all people who are blind and visually impaired. For more information, visit www.acb.org.
For more information and to view the event, visit https://adawardsgala.org/.