Captioning Key - Tools for Creating Captions
Web-based Captioning/Subtitling Tools
Allows people from around the world to create caption files in multiple languages for streaming videos. The
dotSUB caption file can be exported to a SRT format for use with Subtitle Workshop.
Use DCMP's simple copy & paste dotSUB tool to convert SBV subtitles to SRT format.
dotSUB Repair is an online script that replaces missing zeroes in SRT files exported from dotSUB. Use this tool to repair your SRT file before importing it to Subtitle Workshop.
- Subtitle Horse
A tool for transcribing Flash videos online and exporting/converting a caption file in several different
formats including the Timed Text XML format used by multiple
video players including both the Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight players.
(Subtitle Horse was used to convert timing information for Equal Access in the Classroom's Timed Text captions)
- Easy YouTube Caption Creator A simple tool (designed for easy of use in mind) used to create captions for YouTube videos. Read about Easy YouTube Caption Creator on the Accessify blog or watch the Easy YouTube Caption Createor Screencast, also from Accessify.
Desktop Captioning/Subtitling Software
- Jubler (free and open source) (Linux, Windows, and Mac) A Java-based tool for creating captions and subtitles in a variety of formats.
- CaptionMaker and MacCaption Video closed captioning for any Mac/PC digital workflow.
- MovieCaptioner (Mac only [Windows version in development]) Utilizes a GUI to create and synchronize captions in a number of popular formats. Single- and multi-user licenses available.
- Subtitle Workshop (free) (Windows only) Supports all the subtitle formats you need and has all the features you would want from a subtitle editing program.