Social Skills Cinema
In May 2011, the Texas Committee for the Education of Students with Visual Impairments offered teachers, parents, and students with visual impairments across the United States and Canada an opportunity to submit a short video on the theme, "Social Skills: Putting the 'C' in Cool." The contest provided a perfect opportunity to highlight a favorite lesson to teach social skills at home, school, or in the community. In 2012 and 2013, the contest was continued with the theme, "Lessons for the Real World."
Each winning video includes a lesson guide.
We are pleased to say the Described and Captioned Media Program (DCMP) partnered with Texas Committee for the Education of Students with Visual Impairments to provide captions and description for each video.
Videos are also available on the DCMP YouTube channel (2011 YouTube playlist, 2012 YouTube playlist, and the 2013 YouTube playlist), and through the website of the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI) www.tsbvi.edu.
2013 - Social Skills Lessons for the Real World
2012 - Social Skills: Lessons for the Real World
2011 - Social Skills: Putting the "C" in Cool
Social Skills Subcommittee of The Texas Committee for the Education of Students with Visual Impairments:
- Virginia Haas, Administrative Supervisor of Low Incidence Populations, Austin Independent School District
- Alaine Hinds, Parent and Community Organizer, ARC of Texas
- Cyral Miller, Director of Outreach Programs, TSBVI
- Rona Pogrund, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Special Education, Texas Tech University
- Mary Ann Siller, M.Ed., Educator of Children with Visual Impairments