Skip to main content

DCMP

Menu

Creative Living With Sheryl Borden #6516

All Topics » Topic: Counseling and Self-Help » Subject: Bullying » Creative Living With Sheryl Borden #6516
  • 2013
  • Grade/Interest Level: 7 - 12
  • Running Time: 27 minutes
  • Described English

Synopsis:

Pastry Chef Julia Usher gives ideas on decorating cookies with wafer paper, and a representative from Healthy Housekeeper Inc. shares ways to cut down on coughs, colds, and allergies. Also author Peter Goodman discusses steps parents and teachers can take to protect students from bullying.

Transcript:

>> "CREATIVE LIVING," UTILIZING TODAY'S TECHNOLOGY WITH THE BEST
OF THE PAST TO BRING YOU INNOVATIVE IDEAS AND UP-TO-DATE
INFORMATION FOR CREATIVE LIFESTYLES IN TODAY'S ACTIVE
WORLD, WITH YOUR HOST, SHERYL BORDEN.
>> WELCOME TO "CREATIVE LIVING" TODAY. WE'RE GOING TO LEARN
TO DECORATE COOKIES WITH WAFER PAPER. WE'LL TALK ABOUT HOW TO
PROTECT CHILDREN FROM BULLYING AND SHARE SOME GREAT COUGH-AND-
COLD REMEDIES WITH YOU THAT ARE GOOD TO APPLY YEAR-ROUND.
ONE OF MY GUESTS IS JULIA USHER, AND SHE'S A PASTRY CHEF
AND AUTHOR AND A FOOD STYLIST, AND SHE LIVES IN ST. LOUIS,
MISSOURI. JULIA'S GOING TO DEMONSTRATE A SPEEDY WAY TO ADD
IMPRESSIVE COOKIE DETAIL BY WAFER PAPERING, WHICH REFERS TO
THE APPLICATION OF WAFER PAPER TO COOKIE TOPS USING CORN SYRUP
AS THE GLUE. WAFER PAPER IS VIRTUALLY TASTELESS AND QUICKLY
DISSOLVES ON THE TONGUE SO IT DOESN'T DETRACT FROM THE
COOKIE'S FLAVOR. ANOTHER GUEST IS PETER GOODMAN, AND HE'S AN
AUTHOR WHO'S WRITTEN A CHILDREN'S BOOK TITLED "WE'RE
ALL DIFFERENT, BUT WE'RE ALL KITTY CATS." PETER WILL DISCUSS
THE STEPS PARENTS AND TEACHERS CAN TAKE TO PROTECT CHILDREN
FROM BULLYING AND SELF-BLAME WHILE STILL BUILDING RESILIENCE.
TEACHERS WILL ALSO BE PLEASED TO LEARN THAT PETER'S DEVELOPED
LESSON PLANS THAT CAN BE USED IN THE CLASSROOM TO REINFORCE THE
INFORMATION HE PRESENTS IN THE BOOK. HE LIVES IN WASHINGTON,
D.C., AND HIS COMPANY IS DREAM BIG. AND WE'LL BEGIN THE SHOW
WITH LAURA DELLUTRI, WHO'S GOING TO SHARE SOME QUICK AND
EASY TIPS TO CUT DOWN ON COUGHS AND COLDS TO KEEP THE ENTIRE
FAMILY HEALTHY.
LAURA'S BUSINESS IS HEALTHY HOUSEKEEPER INCORPORATED, AND
SHE LIVES IN OVERLAND PARK, KANSAS.
LAURA, NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY, THERE'S JUST CERTAIN TIMES OF
THE YEAR THAT WE HAVE THE SNIFFLES MORE OFTEN. SOMETIMES
WE SAY IT'S ALLERGIES, SOMETIMES WE KNOW IT'S COLDS AND FLUS. BUT
YOU'VE GOT SOME TIPS THAT-- I KNOW SOME OF THEM THAT WHEN I
READ ABOUT IT, I HAD NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT. SO LET'S GET WITH
IT, AND YOU TELL US SOME OF THESE GREAT TIPS.
>> OK, WELL, SHERYL, A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE--WHEN THEY
GET A COLD, THEY START TAKING AN ANTIBIOTIC. AND THEN WHAT
HAPPENS? THEY FINISH THE ANTIBIOTIC, FEEL GOOD FOR A
COUPLE DAYS, AND THEY GET SICK AGAIN!
>> SICK AGAIN, MM-HMM.
>> AND ONE OF THE BIGGEST REASONS WHY IS BECAUSE OF THE
TOOTHBRUSH. A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT MOUTHWASH,
SOAPY WATER IS NOT GOING TO CLEAN YOUR TOOTHBRUSH PROPERLY.
SO YOU CAN ACTUALLY RECONTAMINATE YOURSELF WITH THE
SAME GERMS.
>> WELL, I'LL BE. UH-HUH.
>> SO IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO CLEAN YOUR TOOTHBRUSHES DAILY
WHEN YOU'RE SICK. NOW, THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY, YOU CAN JUST
BOIL 'EM IN HOT WATER, PUT THEM IN BOILING WATER. NOW WE CAN USE
THE MICROWAVE AND STICK 'EM IN A CUP, YOU KNOW, BUT ALSO THERE'S
NEW THINGS OUT NOW LIKE THIS.
THIS IS A TOOTHBRUSH SANITIZER.
AND THIS ONE IS ACTUALLY AN ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT. SO ONCE YOU
CLOSE IT, THE ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT HAS THE HOSPITAL GERMICIDAL
CAPABILITIES AND CAN ACTUALLY GET ALL THE LITTLE BACTERIA AND
GERMS THAT CAN MAKE YOU SICK-- >> YEAH.
>> OFF THE TOOTHBRUSH.
SO THAT'S MY FAVORITE BECAUSE IT'S FAST AND EASY AND IT
DOESN'T REQUIRE MUCH WORK TO DO.
>> I HADN'T EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT ONE.
>> YES, SANITIZE THE TOOTHBRUSH.
NUMBER 2--YOU WANT TO CLEAN THE HIGH-CONTACT AREAS. AND WHAT I
MEAN BY THAT--YOU KNOW, THE LIGHT SWITCH PLATES, EVEN THE
DOORKNOBS. WE DON'T REALIZE-- YOU COUGH [COUGHS] TOUCH A
DOORKNOB, YOU PASS ALONG GERMS.
>> WHY, SURE.
>> SO IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO SANITIZE THEM WITH SOME WIPES.
ALSO KIDS TOYS.
>> YEAH, I THINK WE THINK OF THAT SOMETIMES, BUT I SURELY HAD
NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT DOORKNOBS.
THAT'S GREAT.
>> YES, AND HERE'S A BIG ONE. AS PARENTS, WE REALLY FORGET ABOUT
THIS: THE KIDS' GAMING.
>> OH.
>> THE X BOX, THE PLAYSTATION, ALL THESE GAME PADDLES THAT THEY
USE.
>> ALL THE BUTTONS.
>> THEY'RE SNEEZING, YES. AND WE NEVER CLEAN 'EM. BUT AGAIN, YOU
CAN WIPE THESE WITH THE SANITIZER, AND HERE'S ONE OF THE
MOST GERM-INFESTED THINGS IN OUR HOME.
>> THE REMOTE CONTROL.
>> THE REMOTE CONTROL.
SO I RECOMMEND PUTTING IT IN A PLASTIC BAG WHEN SOMEONE'S SICK,
AND THEN THEY CAN JUST GO LIKE THIS.
>> OH, IT WORKS THROUGH THERE.
>> AND YOU CAN WIPE IT. OR THE PERSON WHO'S WELL CAN JUST PULL
IT OUT AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL THAT WAY.
>> WELL, THAT'S EASY ENOUGH TO DO.
>> YES, NOW, WHEN IT COMES TO TAKING CARE OF YOUR FAMILY WHEN
THEY'RE SICK, I RECOMMEND YOU GOTTA ISOLATE THEM, BECAUSE
THAT'S ANOTHER REASON WE SPREAD THE GERMS AROUND. SO, PUT 'EM IN
A BEDROOM, AND THEN IT'S IMPORTANT TO OFFER THEM COMFORT.
OF COURSE, PLENTY OF LIQUIDS. I ALSO RECOMMEND THE CHICKEN
NOODLE SOUP.
>> OF COURSE. THAT WORKS.
>> YOU GET YOUR OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICINES, BUT THE MOST
IMPORTANT THING I THINK IS THE TISSUE THAT YOU USE, BECAUSE I
JUST LOVE THE PUFFS PLUS WITH THE FRESH SCENT OF VICKS. AND
THE THING THAT'S NICE ABOUT THESE IS NOT ONLY DO THEY
COMFORT--GO AHEAD AND PUT THAT UP TO YOUR NOSE--BUT THEY ALSO
SOOTHE.
>> OH, IT SMELLS SO GOOD.
>> YEAH, IT'S 'CAUSE THEY HAVE THE FRESH SCENT OF VICKS.
SO, JUST ANOTHER-- >> YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE GETTING
BETTER WHETHER YOU ARE OR NOT!
>> YES, ABSOLUTELY.
SO, THESE ARE JUST NICE, THE PUFFS PLUS.
>> OK.
>> ANYWAY, SO, THOSE ARE SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO.
>> WELL, I THINK WE'VE THOUGHT OF A FEW OF 'EM. I KNOW TAKING
CARE OF THE KIDS' TOYS AND THINGS LIKE THAT, BUT THERE ARE
SEVERAL, LIKE THE REMOTE CONTROL AND THE MOUSE ON YOUR COMPUTER--
THINGS LIKE THAT ARE JUST REALLY INFECTED AREAS--
>> YES, THEY ARE.
>> THAT WE FORGET ABOUT.
>> WELL, THANKS FOR MAKING US AWARE OF THIS. THESE ARE EASY
ENOUGH TO REMEDY, TOO.
>> YES, AND KEEP EVERYONE COMFORTABLE AND KEEP 'EM WELL.
>> THANK YOU.
>> YOU'RE WELCOME.
>> PETER, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE. I APPRECIATE YOU
SENDING ME A COPY OF YOUR BOOK "WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT BUT WE'RE
ALL KITTY CATS." AND IT'S A DELIGHTFUL READ, BUT THERE'S A
REALLY SERIOUS PURPOSE BEHIND THIS BOOK AND IT'S ABOUT HELPING
CHILDREN TO PREVENT BULLYING OR TO NOT BE A VICTIM TO BULLYING.
BUT ONE OF THE ISSUES THAT'S BROUGHT UP IN THE BOOK IS ABOUT
CREATING A SAFE ENVIRONMENT.
NOW, DO YOU MEAN ENVIRONMENT AT HOME OR AT SCHOOL OR EVERYWHERE?
WHAT?
>> IT'S BOTH. IT'S IMPORTANT TO GIVE KIDS A SAFE ENVIRONMENT OR
CREATE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT BOTH IN THE SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT,
SCHOOL YARD, AND ALSO AT HOME.
ALSO BECAUSE THE MORE THAT CHILDREN FEEL SAFE, IT ALSO
ENABLES THEM TO LEARN BETTER.
>> TO LEARN BETTER. AND PART OF THAT LEARNING IS HOW TO INTERACT
OR REACT TO SITUATIONS AROUND THEM.
>> RIGHT, EXACTLY. AND ALSO, IT ALLOWS THEM TO FOCUS IN THE
MOMENT, TOO, BECAUSE IF A CHILD IS WORRIED ABOUT BEING BULLIED
IN THE HALL AFTER CLASS ENDS, HE OR SHE ISN'T PAYING ATTENTION
IN THE MOMENT WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE CLASSROOM.
>> UH-HUH. AND IT TALKS ABOUT HOW THIS ONE KITTY CAT HAS NO
HAIR, AND SOME OF THE KIDS MAKE FUN OF HIM. BUT THE BEST PART IS
SOME OF THE OTHER KIDS RALLY AROUND HIM, AND THAT'S
IMPORTANT, BECAUSE THE CHILD ISN'T MADE TO FEEL ALL ALONE OR
LIKE IT'S THEIR FAULT SOMETHING HAPPENED.
>> RIGHT. IN THIS CASE IN THE BOOK, FLO AND MARLA--WE SEE FLO
OVER THERE.
>> UH-HUH.
>> THEY STAND UP FOR CARLOS TO VINNY, WHO'S THE SCHOOL BULLY.
AND THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT, BECAUSE IT'S NOT OK TO LET THE
BULLY WALK OVER SOMEONE. AND IT REALLY ALSO LETS CARLOS FEEL
THAT HE'S NOT ALONE AS WELL.
>> WHAT AGE ARE THESE--THIS IS WHAT, DESIGNED FOR PRESCHOOL,
KINDERGARTEN, OR WHAT?
>> YEAH, IT'S REALLY THE 3- TO 8-YEAR-OLD RANGE, SO PRE-K TO
GRADE 3. AND I SAY THAT BECAUSE KIDS AT ALL DIFFERENT AGE LEVELS
CAN GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT, DEPENDING UPON WHAT THEIR AGE
IS.
>> UH-HUH. AND WHAT I LIKE IS THAT I COULD--AS I READ IT--
COULD THINK OF THINGS THAT I WANT TO TALK TO MY GRANDDAUGHTER
ABOUT IN TERMS OF WHAT'S HAPPENING ON EACH PAGE, WHICH I
THINK IS THE WAY PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS READ TO A CHILD,
NOT JUST THE WORDS. BUT EVEN IN THE BACK, THERE ARE SOME
SUGGESTED DISCUSSION POINTS.
>> RIGHT. AND THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT FOR THIS BOOK AND ALSO
SUBSEQUENT BOOKS BECAUSE IT REALLY STARTS CONVERSATIONS
BETWEEN PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS, OR EVEN TEACHERS AND KIDS, GETS
THE CHILD TALKING ABOUT HOW THEY FELT, WHO WAS THE FAVORITE
CHARACTER, WHAT WOULD THEY SAY THAT MAKES THEM SPECIAL. SO IT
REALLY GETS THEM THINKING ABOUT IMPORTANT SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL
TOPICS AS WELL.
>> SO, SELF-ESTEEM, AS WE KNOW, PLAYS SUCH AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN
HOW WE ALL REACT TO PEOPLE AND TO THINGS. AND I THINK SOMETIMES
WE DON'T THINK ABOUT LITTLE CHILDREN AND WHETHER THEY HAVE
SELF-ESTEEM OR NOT. THEY'VE BEEN TOLD THEY'RE CUTE AND ADORABLE
MANY TIMES, BUT THERE'S ALSO THE CHILDREN WHO HAVEN'T HAD THAT
POSITIVE INFLUENCE, MAYBE, IN THEIR LIVES. DO YOU THINK THAT
IF THEY LEARN AT THIS YOUNG AGE THAT THEY'LL NOT TURN INTO
BULLIES LATER?
>> WELL, THERE'S NO GUARANTEE, BUT IT'S DEFINITELY POSITIVE OR
IMPORTANT TO GIVE KIDS THE TOOLS AND SKILLS AND EVEN FAMILIARITY
WITH WHAT IS GOOD BEHAVIOR, BECAUSE THE EARLIER THEY LEARN,
THE MORE LIKELY THEY ARE TO TURN INTO GOOD ADULTS THAT ARE
CONSIDERATE AND EMPATHETIC TO OTHERS. AND CHILDREN CAN TALK
NOT ONLY TO--WE HOPE WILL FEEL COMFORTABLE ENOUGH TO TALK TO
THEIR TEACHER, BUT THEN, AS IN THE CASE IN THE BOOK WHEN CARLOS
GOES HOME AND FINALLY TELLS HIS MOTHER WHY HE'S SO UPSET AND HAD
BEEN CRYING, SHE'S ABLE THEN TO RELATE TO WHAT HE'S FEELING.
>> RIGHT, AND IT'S IMPORTANT WITH PARENTS THAT PARENTS
VALIDATE AND ENGAGE THE CHILD.
AND IN THIS CASE, IT WAS CARLOS.
SHE WANTED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED, HOW HE WAS FEELING.
SHE LET CARLOS REALLY EXPRESS HIS FEELINGS. AND THEN SHE ALSO
HELPED CARLOS TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT HIMSELF BY POINTING OUT
POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES OR POSITIVE QUALITIES THAT CARLOS HAS, WHICH
REALLY HELPED HIS SELF-ESTEEM IN GIVING HIM CONFIDENCE TO GO
BACK TO SCHOOL THE NEXT DAY.
>> WHAT IF HE HADN'T WANTED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL? AND SOMETIMES
I WOULD THINK CHILDREN, YOU KNOW, THEY HAVE A TUMMYACHE OR
THEY HAVE A HEADACHE. AND HOW CAN PARENTS THEN REASSURE THEM
THAT THAT SAME BULLYING PROBLEM WON'T HAPPEN THE NEXT OR IN THE
NEXT DAYS?
>> RIGHT. WELL, THAT'S ACTUALLY A BIG PROBLEM THAT A LOT OF KIDS
EVERY DAY STAY HOME FROM SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY'RE AFRAID OF BEING
BULLIED. BUT WHAT CARLOS' MOM DOES, SHE CAN OBVIOUSLY HELP
GIVE CARLOS CONFIDENCE, BUT THEY CAN ALSO ENGAGE THE SCHOOL
TEACHER OR ENCOURAGE THE CHILD CARLOS TO MAKE FRIENDS AND NOT
BE ALONE. THOSE ARE SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES AND TOOLS OR LITTLE
TIPS THAT PARENTS CAN DO TO HELP THEIR CHILD NOT BE ALONE, TO
MAKE FRIENDS WITH OTHERS.
>> YOU KNOW, THAT WAS SOMETHING I HADN'T THOUGHT ABOUT.
WE KNOW THAT FOR PERSONAL SAFETY, PEOPLE SHOULD BE IN
GROUPS, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT OR THINGS. BUT I HADN'T THOUGHT
ABOUT HOW IF YOU'RE WITH A GROUP, EVEN 2 OR 3 OTHER
FRIENDS ALL THE TIME ON THE SCHOOL GROUNDS OR WHEREVER, THAT
CAN HELP PREVENT THAT EPISODE FROM HAPPENING.
>> EXACTLY. AND BULLIES OFTEN TARGET THOSE WHO ARE WEAKER AND
THOSE WHO ARE INDIVIDUALS, THOSE THEY MIGHT KNOW, OR THOSE THAT
THEY MIGHT THINK WOULD BE GOOD TARGETS TO BE BULLIED. AND IF A
CHILD IS IN A GROUP OR EVEN WITH ONE OTHER FRIEND, THE BULLY'S
LESS LIKELY TO APPROACH THEM AND ANTAGONIZE THEM.
>> THAT WAS SOMETHING THAT I HADN'T THOUGHT ABOUT, THE GROUP
ASPECTS. SO THAT GOES ALONG WITH MAKING FRIENDS AND CARING FOR
EACH OTHER, BECAUSE IF THEY, THEN, HAVE BEEN BULLIED, THEN
THEY KNOW MORE ABOUT HOW TO STAND UP AND HELP THEIR FRIENDS
IF A SITUATION OCCURS.
>> EXACTLY. AND THE BENEFIT OF THE BOOK--THERE'S A SCENE WHERE
FLO AND MARLA STAND UP TO VINNY FOR CARLOS, AND THEN THE BULLY
BACKED DOWN. THAT'S NOT GONNA ALWAYS HAPPEN IN EVERY
SITUATION, BUT COMMONLY THAT DOES HAPPEN. IT'S STRENGTH IN
NUMBERS TYPE OF CONCEPT.
>> AND ESPECIALLY AT THIS AGE WHEN THEY'RE LIKE PRESCHOOL OR
KINDERGARTEN, I THINK. LIKE YOU SAY, IT'S IMPORTANT TO START
EARLY, BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH MAYBE IN HIGH SCHOOL THE BULLY
WOULDN'T QUIT THAT EASILY, PERHAPS THIS WILL KEEP THOSE
SITUATIONS FROM HAPPENING AT A LATER AGE.
>> ABSOLUTELY. AND THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT THAT THE EARLIER YOU
START AND ESTABLISH GOOD BEHAVIORS, THE MORE CONFIDENCE
YOU'RE GONNA FEEL EARLY ON, AND THAT WILL HOPEFULLY PREVENT
BULLYING HAPPENING TO YOU OR BECOMING THE VICTIM.
>> WELL, IT'S REALLY AN INTERESTING READ. AGAIN, IT'S
TITLED, "WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT BUT WE'RE ALL KITTY CATS". THANK YOU
VERY MUCH FOR BEING HERE TODAY, PETER.
>> THANK YOU. IT WAS GREAT BEING HERE.
>> JULIA, IT'S SO NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE, AND I LOVED READING
YOUR BOOK AND ALL THE DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES THAT YOU SHOW. AND
I'VE DONE SOME CAKE DECORATING FOR MY KIDS AND GRANDKIDS,
MOSTLY, AND WORKED WITH DIFFERENT ICINGS, BUT I HAVE TO
ADMIT I'D NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS WAFER-PAPERING TECHNIQUE.
>> WELL, I'M KIND OF SURPRISED, BECAUSE YOU'RE A BIG
SCRAPBOOKER, RIGHT?
>> RIGHT.
>> WELL, IT'S VERY SIMILAR TO SCRAPBOOKING. IT'S BASICALLY
CUT-AND-PASTE TECHNIQUE.
SO, WHAT WE'RE GONNA BE DOING IS APPLYING EDIBLE WAFER PAPERS.
THESE WAFER PAPERS ARE MADE OF DEHYDRATED POTATO STARCH AND
WATER.
>> NEVER HEARD OF IT.
>> YEAH, THEY'RE VERY COOL, AND THEY COME PRE-PRINTED IN A HOST
OF PATTERNS. JUST ABOUT ANY PATTERN YOU CAN IMAGINE--
>> JUST LIKE SCRAPBOOKING PAPER.
>> YES. YOU CAN ALSO GET IT PLAIN AND PRINT ON IT WITH
EDIBLE INKS AS WELL.
>> LET'S SEE THE OTHER SIDE.
>> AND IT'S LIKE A COMMUNION WAFER. IT HITS THE TONGUE, AND
IT DISSOLVES VERY, VERY QUICKLY ON THE PALATE, SO IT GETS CUT
AND STUCK ONTO THE COOKIES WITH A LITTLE CORN SYRUP.
>> THAT'S HOW THEY LOOK SO ELEGANT.
>> YES, I DIDN'T DO THIS ALL BY HAND. AGAIN, VERY QUICK AND EASY
TECHNIQUE, SO IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TON OF ARTISTIC ABILITY...
GREAT FOR THE KIDS, ALSO.
>> OK, LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT SOME COOKIES THAT YOU'VE ALREADY MADE
UP THAT USE THIS TECHNIQUE.
>> YES, IN ADDITION TO BEING QUICK AND EASY, IT'S VERY
VERSATILE. SO WE'RE GONNA SHOW 3 SEASONAL VARIATIONS OF IT TODAY.
I'VE GOT A NUMBER OF HEARTS HERE. WHERE YOU SEE THIS
ELABORATE PATTERN, THAT'S ACTUALLY THE WAFER PAPER STUCK
ONTO AN ALREADY ICED AND DRIED COOKIE. I'M GOING TO SHOW--
HERE'S A PLACECARD VERSION.
THE WAFER PAPER IS THE NAME.
I PRINTED THAT ON PLAIN WAFER PAPER. I HAVE A PRINTER THAT'S
GOT FOOD COLORING IN IT, SO THAT ALLOWS ME TO DO THAT.
>> AND THAT'S WHAT THE PRINT IS.
IT'S FOOD COLORING.
>> YES, IT'S FOOD COLORING.
I'M GONNA SHOW AN EASTER VARIATION OF THAT TODAY. YOU
KNOW THOSE SUGAR PANORAMA EGGS THAT YOU CAN VIEW INTO?
>> YES.
>> I'M GONNA DO SORT OF A 3-D VERSION OF THAT IN A COOKIE
FORMAT.
>> OH, GREAT. SO IT'LL BE A LITTLE WINDOW WITH AN EASTER
BUNNY OR CHICK ON THE INSIDE.
AND THEN HERE ON THE STOCKING, AGAIN, I'VE USED A
RED-AND-WHITE, VERY BOLD CHECKED PATTERN TO CREATE SOME TEXTURE
ON THE TOP OF THAT STOCKING. AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO CUSTOM CUT.
SOME OF THESE CUTS INVOLVE CRAFT PAPER PUNCHES. OTHERS INVOLVE
CUSTOM CUTTING TO FIT THE SHAPE OF THE COOKIE. NOW, WHAT I'VE
GOT--WE'RE WORKING WITH TODAY-- TO DO THIS TECHNIQUE, YOU NEED
TO HAVE AN ALREADY ICED AND DRIED COOKIE. THE WAFER PAPER
WILL NOT STICK TO WHAT I CALL A NAKED COOKIE, WHICH IS ONE
WITHOUT ANY ICING. I USE A ROYAL ICING, WHICH IS CONFECTIONER'S
SUGAR AND EGG WHITES. IT DRIES VERY, VERY QUICKLY.
>> YES, IT'S SO SMOOTH.
>> AND YOU CAN ALSO TOPCOAT IT, AND YOU CAN TOPCOAT IT AND YOU
CAN GET IT VERY SMOOTH. AND MY BOOK TALKS ABOUT HOW TO DO THAT.
YOU NEED TO HAVE THE ICING JUST THE RIGHT CONSISTENCY. BUT THESE
HAVE BEEN DONE FOR US. THEY'VE DRIED OVERNIGHT. I'M JUST GONNA
SHOW YOU HOW TO APPLY THE PAPER AND TO CREATE THESE VARIOUS
PROJECTS. SO, VALENTINE'S DAY, I'VE GOT A PERFECTLY SHAPED
HEART. I DID NOT CUT THAT BY HAND. IF I DID, IT WOULD BE A
MESS. SO THAT'S WHERE THE CRAFT PAPER PUNCHES COME IN.
>> HOW HANDY!
>> AND YOU CAN FIND THESE, AS YOU KNOW, IN ANY HOBBY STORE.
AND THEY COME IN ALL SORTS OF SIZES AND SHAPES.
>> AND DO THE PAPERS COME AT BAKERIES? WHERE DID YOU FIND
THOSE?
>> THE BEST SOURCE OF THEM ANYWHERE IS ONLINE, AND
IT'S FANCYFLOURS.COM-- F-L-O-U-R-S.
AND THEY HAPPEN TO HAVE SPONSORED MY TOUR, SO I'M QUITE
GRATEFUL TO THEM FOR THAT.
BUT THEY HAVE A HUGE SELECTION.
>> OH, WOW.
>> AND SO I GO THERE, OF COURSE.
>> AND THEY COME IN 8 1/2 x 11 SHEETS. I ALWAYS WORK WITH A
CRAFT PUNCH ACTUALLY UPSIDE-DOWN.
>> I LIKE THAT, TOO. YOU CAN SEE WHERE THINGS ARE.
>> YEAH, EXACTLY. SO I CAN SEE WHERE IT'S ORIENTED.
IF THERE'S A PARTICULAR PATTERN THAT I WANT TO CAPTURE...I KIND
OF WANT TO CENTER THAT LITTLE ROSEBUD AT THE TOP OF THE HEART.
I'LL PUNCH IT THERE.
THE PAPER IS BRITTLE, SO YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL HANDLING IT.
IF YOU'RE REALLY ROUGH WITH IT, YOU WILL TEAR IT WHEN IT'S DRY.
>> UH-HUH.
>> AND ACTUALLY, I'LL GIVE YOU A COUPLE--THERE'S SOME FUN PAPER
HERE, SO YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CHOICE.
>> OH! I SEE NOW. I RECOGNIZE THE COOKIE THAT HAS--
>> EXACTLY. ALSO, IF YOU OVERAPPLY THE CORN SYRUP, WHICH
ACTS AS THE GLUE IN THIS CASE, IT WILL DISSOLVE. IT'LL ACTUALLY
START TO BUCKLE FIRST, AND THEN IT WILL EVENTUALLY WRINKLE AND
DISSOLVE. SO ALL WE'RE REALLY LOOKING FOR HERE--
>> IS JUST ENOUGH TO HOLD IT.
>> YEAH, JUST TO GET IT TACKY ON THE BACK. SO THIS IS CORN
SYRUP. IT'S KIND OF CRUSTED 'CAUSE I HAD IT OPEN. AND I USE
A SPONGE BRUSH FOR THIS AS OPPOSED TO ONE WITH BRISTLES
BECAUSE THE BRISTLES TEND TO GET ALL STUCK IN THE--
>> I CAN SEE HOW THAT WOULD TEAR IT, TOO.
>> AND I'M JUST VERY GENTLE WITH IT. AND YOU CAN SEE, I'M NOT
GETTING IT REALLY WET. I'M JUST GETTING IT SO IT'S TACKY.
>> JUST LIKE YOU WOULD GLUE.
>> NOW, IF I WERE TO COVER A WHOLE COOKIE WITH THE PAPER, I'D
ACTUALLY JUST PAINT DIRECTLY ON THE COOKIE.
>> UH-HUH.
>> BUT SINCE I'M JUST COVERING A PORTION--THIS PIECE IS SMALLER
THAN THE ICING--I'M PAINTING THE BACK OF THE PAPER. BECAUSE IF
YOU GET ANY CORN SYRUP ON THE COOKIE TOP, WHEN IT DRIES IT
WILL DRY, BUT IT WILL DRY WITH A SHINY SPOT, WHICH ISN'T
ALTOGETHER TOO ATTRACTIVE.
SO THAT'S PRETTY NICELY DONE AND TACKY AS YOU CAN SEE, BUT
NOT REALLY WET.
>> SO THIS HAS BEEN AROUND A WHILE?
>> YOU KNOW, YOU'RE RIGHT, IT IS RELATIVELY NEW IN COOKIE
DECORATING. I WOULD SAY IN THE LAST YEAR OR TWO IT'S TAKEN OFF.
>> OK, UH-HUH. I'M SO GLAD-- >> MAYBE 2 YEARS. I LOSE TRACK
OF TIME. THE PAPER IS TRANSLUCENT, SO SOME OF THE
COLOR OF THE COOKIE UNDERNEATH IT WILL SHOW THROUGH. IN THIS
CASE, IT'S PRETTY PALE.
>> OH, THAT'S NICE.
>> THIS MIGHT HAVE LOOKED BETTER ON A DARKER COOKIE 'CAUSE IT'S A
LIGHT PAPER.
ONE THING I DO--THEN FROM HEREAFTER, I WILL LET IT DRY AND
I WILL LET IT DRY UPRIGHT. SOME SOURCES WILL SAY TURN IT
UPSIDE-DOWN AND DRY IT THIS WAY.
>> OH.
>> BUT THERE'S REALLY NOT ENOUGH WEIGHT ON THE COOKIE TO MAKE A
DIFFERENCE, AND I FIND THAT IT ACTUALLY SOMETIMES DOESN'T DRY
AS FAST AND THE PAPER WILL WRINKLE OR BUCKLE, SO I ALWAYS
DRY IT-- >> THEN YOU DON'T KNOW IT.
>> THEN YOU DON'T KNOW IT.
SO THEN I ALWAYS DRY IT FACE UP, AND PERIODICALLY I'LL JUST RUN
AROUND THE EDGE--CAUSE THE EDGES TEND TO LIFT--WITH MY FINGER
UNTIL IT'S THOROUGHLY DRY.
>> SO ANOTHER WAY, BESIDES DOING THE PUNCHES, YOU ALSO HAVE SOME
OTHER TECHNIQUES.
>> YEAH, YEAH. YOU CAN CUT IT FREEHAND. WE'RE GONNA DO THAT
ON THE STOCKING. NOW, IF YOU'VE GOT AN ODD SHAPE--FOR INSTANCE,
I WANT TO FILL THE TOP OF THIS STOCKING WITH THIS SWIRLY RED
PAPER. HOW DO YOU DO THAT? I DON'T HAVE A PUNCH THAT'S GONNA
FIT THAT. SO WHAT I DO IS I WILL ACTUALLY LAY IT--I'LL CUT IT
DOWN TO A MANAGEABLE SIZE FIRST.
>> OH, I SEE.
>> SO LET ME TAKE AN EDGE OFF.
YOU KNOW, ONCE IT'S DOWN--I WOULDN'T LEAVE IT THAT WAY. I'D
GO BACK, AND I'D EMBELLISH IT 'CAUSE YOU'LL SEE--
>> WHILE IT'S--UH-HUH.
>> WITH ICING, BUT USUALLY I DON'T PUT THE ICING ON TOP OF
THE WAFER PAPER UNTIL THIS HAS DRIED AT LEAST AN HOUR, BECAUSE
THE WET ICING ON TOP OF THE WET PAPER CAUSES THE PAPER TO LIFT.
SO I CUT THAT DOWN TO ROUGHLY THE SAME SIZE. AND WHAT I'LL DO
IS I'LL TAKE MY HANDY TRUSSING NEEDLE OR TOOTHPICK, AND I'LL
SCORE AROUND THE EDGE ROUGHLY TO MARK IT OFF.
>> OH, SO YOU MAKE A LITTLE CUTTING LINE AREA.
>> YEAH, JUST SO I CAN SEE WHERE I NEED TO CUT AND THEN GO ABOUT
IT THAT WAY. ACTUALLY, SMALLER SCISSORS--YOURS MIGHT BE BETTER
FOR THIS, OR USUALLY BETTER THAN THESE BIG BULKY ONES,
'CAUSE THESE ARE SMALL AREAS.
AND IT ROUGHLY FITS. THERE'S A LITTLE BIT OF OVERHANG, BUT I'M
GONNA TRIM THAT OUT AFTERWARDS 'CAUSE IT'S HARD TO GET IT QUITE
A PERFECT FIT. AND IN THIS CASE, I WILL PAINT THE WHOLE AREA
BECAUSE IT'S SEPARATE FROM THE REST OF THE COOKIE AND I'M
UNLIKELY TO GET A LOT OF CORN SYRUP ON THERE.
SO I CAN JUST GO DIRECTLY ON THERE 'CAUSE I'M
COVERING THE WHOLE AREA.
>> WHAT A FAST TECHNIQUE THIS BECOMES.
>> IT IS VERY FAST.
AND DOWN IT GOES.
NOW, I'VE GOT SOME OVERHANG ON THIS. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN
SEE THAT.
>> YES, UH-HUH. IT'S A LITTLE BIT BIGGER.
>> IT'S A LITTLE BIT BIGGER. AND THAT'S NOT IDEAL. IF I WERE TO
COME IN WITH A BORDER LATER, THAT PAPER WOULD LIFT UP AN
ICING BORDER LATER. SO I'M GONNA TAKE YOUR TEENY SCISSORS--THANK
YOU--AND JUST, BEFORE IT'S COMPLETELY DRY, JUST TRIM THAT
BACK TO THE ICING EDGE-- >> OH. WELL, THAT'S EASY TO DO.
>> AND IT'S JUST EASIER TO DO IT WITH THESE LESS CLUMSY SCISSORS.
AND THEN IT'S MUCH EASIER TO GET A BORDER ON TOP OF IT LATER, AS
I WILL SHOW. WE'LL LET THAT DRY A LITTLE BIT BEFORE I SHOW THAT.
THEN I'M GONNA PRESS THAT DOWN.
AND WE'LL COVER IT. I LIKE TO BORDER THE EDGES BECAUSE I DON'T
LIKE-- >> I DO, TOO.
>> CUT AND PASTE.
>> YEAH.
>> SO THAT'S HOW YOU WOULD CUSTOM FIT AN AREA.
>> OK. NOW, THAT EASTER DIORAMA I'M ANXIOUS TO SEE THAT.
>> I'LL SHOW YOU THAT REALLY QUICKLY. HERE IT IS.
>> OH, UH-HUH.
>> AND THE WAFER PAPER IS THE CHICK ON THE INSIDE, AND IT'S 2
COOKIES PUT TOGETHER. SO I'VE GOT ONE THAT'S GOT THE WAFER
PAPER ON THE BOTTOM AND THEN I'VE GOT A RING THAT I'VE JUST
DECORATED AND PUT ON TOP.
>> PRETTY.
>> I'M GONNA DO THAT HERE, AND WE'RE GONNA USE A YELLOW
BACKGROUND, THEN YOU'LL SEE WHAT THAT DOES. THE PAPER--THERE WE
GO.
>> AND THAT'S ANOTHER PATTERN THAT WE CAN WORK WITH.
>> YEP.
>> THAT'S AMAZING.
>> HE'S STUCK IN THERE. THAT'S NOT GOOD. LET'S SEE IF HE COMES
OUT. WELL, MAYBE YOU CAN POP HIM OUT--
>> WILL THIS-- >> THAT MIGHT POP IT OUT. AND IF
IT DOESN'T, WHAT I'M GONNA DO IS CUT IT FREE--THERE YOU GO.
THANKS. WAS GONNA CUT IT FREEHAND.
>> THESE LITTLE THINGS ARE HANDY FOR A LOT OF THINGS.
>> AND AGAIN, I'M COVERING THE WHOLE COOKIE, SO I'LL JUST--
AND JUST TACKY, AGAIN, NOT WET.
I THINK I GOT THE STOCKING A LITTLE TOO WET LAST TIME BECAUSE
THE PAPER WAS LIFTING IN THE MIDDLE.
>> YOU'VE DONE IT ENOUGH. YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
>> AND IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TOO MUCH ON IT, YOU CAN PUT A
PAPER TOWEL DOWN AND BLOT IT BEFORE YOU PUT THE--
>> OH.
>> PUT THE PAPER ON IT.
I'VE JUST CLEANED MY HANDS WITH A WET PAPER TOWEL, WHICH YOU MAY
NEED TO DO PERIODICALLY, BUT I DON'T WANT TO THEN PUT THEM ON
THE WAFER PAPER, CAUSE THEY WILL DISSOLVE IT. SO JUST KEEP YOUR
HANDS DRY. AND SO HE'S BASICALLY DONE. NORMALLY, I'D LET HIM DRY
AGAIN AT LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE I GLUED WITH ICING ON TOP. BUT
BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THE BENEFIT OF TIME HERE, I'M GONNA
DO IT A LITTLE BIT MORE QUICKLY.
>> LET'S JUST SHOW HOW-- >> TURN IT AROUND.
>> HOW THAT LOOKS.
>> SO THIS IS JUST A RING. I USED ONE OF THOSE GRADUATED
CUTTER SETS, A FLUTED ONE, AND I CUT A HOLE OUT OF THE CENTER--
>> CUTE.
>> AND BAKED IT THAT WAY AND THEN ICED IT. AND I'M
TAKING A VERY THICK-- >> NOW YOU'RE GOING TO GLUE IT
TOGETHER.
>> VERY THICK ROYAL ICING RIGHT NOW.
>> UH-HUH.
>> THE THICKER IT IS, THE FASTER IT DRIES. SO THE THICKER ICING
ACTS AS A BETTER GLUE.
>> UH-HUH.
>> AND I WILL STICK THAT HERE.
WHOOPS! SO THICK, IT'S FALLING OFF. AND THEN JUST CENTER IT ON
THE COOKIE. AND THERE YOU HAVE YOUR LITTLE DIORAMA.
>> THAT IS JUST GORGEOUS.
>> IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DRESS IT UP THE WAY I HAVE, YOU CAN
WORK WITH SOME FANCY TIPS. I RARELY WORK WITH TIPS, BUT WHEN
YOU WANT TEXTURE AND RELIEF TO THE ICING, THAT'S REALLY THE
BEST WAY TO DO IT. SO THIS IS A STAR TIP USED TO CREATE THAT
BORDER, AND I'M GONNA DO IT IN YELLOW, IN THIS CASE.
>> OH.
>> I'M JUST TESTING MY ICING TO MAKE SURE IT'S FLOWING, 'CAUSE
THESE TIPS DO PLUG, AND THAT ONE HAD. I WANT TO GET MY CADENCE
GOING FIRST. THAT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD, SO I'M JUST GONNA GO
AROUND THE INNER PART. AND I MIGHT NOT DO THE WHOLE THING,
'CAUSE YOU'LL GET THE PICTURE.
MY ICING'S A LITTLE CRUSTY HERE.
>> IT'S BEEN SITTING OUT A WHILE.
>> IT'S NOT LOOKING AS PERFECT AS THE ONE I HAVE ON DISPLAY,
BUT I THINK YOU GET THE PICTURE.
>> WELL, IT LOOKS KIND OF NICE TO THE REST OF US. YOU ARE A
PERFECTIONIST.
>> AND THEN YOU GO AROUND AND AROUND AND AROUND AND COMPLETE
THAT. AND THEN IF YOU WANT TO TOP IT OFF AND MAKE IT LOOK
REALLY LOVELY-- >> YOU CAN MAKE 'EM OR BUY THEM?
>> YOU CAN MAKE THESE WITH ROYAL ICING. PIPE THEM OUT AND LET
THEM DRY THEN LIFT THEM OFF PARCHMENT PAPER, OR YOU CAN BUY
THEM. AND THERE ARE MANY SOURCES FOR THESE. AGAIN, I LOVE
FANCY FLOURS' PRODUCTS. THEY'VE GOT SOME LOVELY VARIETIES, AND
THESE PARTICULAR ROSEBUDS DID COME FROM THEM. NOW I'M TAKING A
LEAF TIP, AND I'M JUST GONNA FILL IN WITH A LITTLE GREEN
AROUND THAT. LET THAT DRY, AND YOU CAN SERVE IT FLAT OR STAND
IT UP TO CREATE KIND OF A DISPLAY ELEMENT OF ITS OWN.
STAND IT UP IN SUGAR-- >> PLACE CARDS.
>> FOR INSTANCE.
>> WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH.
THIS JUST LOOKED SO COMPLICATED WHEN I SAW THE FINISHED ONES,
BUT IT'S REALLY A WONDERFUL TECHNIQUE.
>> YEAH, IT'S VERY, VERY EASY.
>> THANK YOU, JULIA.
>> THANK YOU.
>> I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW TODAY. NEXT TIME ON "CREATIVE
LIVING," WE'LL LEARN HOW TO SEW ON STRETCHED KNITS TO MAKE SWIM
SUITS, AND WE'LL SEE WHAT IS INVOLVED IN MAKING A BUTTERFLY
WALL HANGING FOR OUR HOME.
ONE OF MY NEXT GUESTS IS AN APPAREL DESIGNER, AND SHE'S
GOING TO DEMONSTRATE HOW TO SEW A CUSTOM-FIT SWIMSUIT. THIS USES
EASY SEWING METHODS THAT ARE HANDY FOR ANY STRETCH-KNIT
FABRIC AS WELL AS FOR SWIMSUIT FABRIC. MY GUEST EMPHASIZES HOW
IMPORTANT IT IS TO FIRST CONSULT WHATEVER PATTERN YOU PLAN TO USE
BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE ARE VARIOUS SIZES. AND THE GOOD PART ABOUT
SEWING OUR OWN SWIMSUIT OR ANY OTHER ARTICLE OF CLOTHING IS WE
CAN CUSTOM FIT IT TO FLATTER OURSELVES AND OUR SHAPE.
AND WE'LL ALSO MEET A PROFESSIONAL CRAFTER AND
DESIGNER, AND SHE'S GOING TO SHOW HOW TO MAKE A FRAMED
BUTTERFLY WALL DECORATION THAT INCLUDES A QUOTE TO MAKE IT
PERSONALIZED FOR THE RECIPIENT.
BOTH OF THESE TOPICS WILL BE FEATURED ON THE NEXT "CREATIVE
LIVING" SHOW.
IF YOU EVER HAVE COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS FOR SHOWS,
YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT SHERYL.BORDEN@ENMU.EDU.
I'D ALSO LIKE TO ASK YOU TO BECOME A FAN OF "CREATIVE
LIVING" ON FACEBOOK.
JUST GO TO FACEBOOK.COM AND IN THE SEARCH WINDOW, TYPE IN
CREATIVE LIVING WITH SHERYL BORDEN.
I ALSO WANT TO REMIND YOU TO SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE "CREATIVE
LIVING" NEWSLETTER THAT COMES OUT THE FIRST PART OF EACH
MONTH.
JUST GO TO OUR WEBSITE AT KENW.ORG AND PROVIDE US WITH
YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS. THANKS SO MUCH. I HOPE YOU'LL PLAN TO JOIN
ME NEXT TIME FOR "CREATIVE LIVING."
>> WE ARE VERY PLEASED TO OFFER A NEW BOOKLET THAT ACCOMPANIES
THIS SERIES OF "CREATIVE LIVING." THIS BOOKLET IS TITLED
"THE 6500 SERIES," AND IT FEATURES A WONDERFUL COLLECTION
OF IDEAS AND INFORMATION, AND IT'S AVAILABLE FREE
OF CHARGE ON OUR WEBSITE.
POSTED AS A PDF FILE, YOU CAN SIMPLY DOWNLOAD
THE ENTIRE BOOKLET, OR JUST THE SEGMENTS YOU'RE MOST
INTERESTED IN. AS WITH ALL OF THE "CREATIVE LIVING"
BOOKLETS, YOU'LL FIND INFORMATION ON FOODS
AND NUTRITION, CLOTHING AND FASHION, HEALTH AND BEAUTY,
HOME DECORATING AND MUCH MORE.
FOR YOUR COPY OF THIS BOOKLET, GO TO OUR WEBSITE AT KENW.ORG,
AND THEN CLICK ON "CREATIVE LIVING." SCROLL DOWN
TO THE BOOKLET SECTION AND YOU CAN CLICK ON THIS BOOKLET
OR ANY OF THE OTHER BOOKLETS WE HAVE AVAILABLE ONLINE.
ONCE AGAIN, JUST GO TO KENW.ORG, CLICK ON "CREATIVE LIVING"
AND DOWNLOAD THE BOOKLET TITLED "THE 6500 SERIES." WE ALSO WANT
TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE E-NEWSLETTER.
JUST CLICK ON THE "SIGN UP NOW" BUTTON AND INPUT YOUR EMAIL
ADDRESS. THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT. YOU'LL ENJOY READING
AN UP-TO-DATE NEWSLETTER FILLED WITH INTERESTING TOPICS
AND INFORMATION. THANK YOU.