Skip to main content

DCMP

Menu

Creative Living With Sheryl Borden #6513

All Topics » Topic: Home and Family » Subject: Flower Arranging » Creative Living With Sheryl Borden #6513
  • 2013
  • Grade/Interest Level: 7 - 12
  • Running Time: 27 minutes
  • Captioned English

Synopsis:

A florist stops by and shows techniques for arranging flowers. Sheryl also welcomes a representative from Western Research Kitchens who compares the numerous prepackaged salads available. This episode also encourages the viewer to find their passion and know their purpose in life.

Transcript:

>> "CREATIVE LIVING," UTILIZING TODAY'S TECHNOLOGY WITH THE BEST
OF THE PAST TO BRING YOU INNOVATIVE IDEAS AND UP-TO-DATE
INFORMATION FOR CREATIVE LIFESTYLES IN TODAY'S ACTIVE
WORLD WITH YOUR HOST SHERYL BORDEN.
>> WELCOME TO "CREATIVE LIVING" TODAY. WE'RE GOING TO LEARN HOW
TO ARRANGE FLOWERS, PREPARE SALADS, AND TALK ABOUT HOW TO
FIND YOUR OWN PASSION. ONE OF MY GUESTS IS CASEY SCHWARTZ, AND
SHE'S A FLORAL DESIGNER AND THE CO-OWNER OF FLOWER DUET IN
REDONDO BEACH, CALIFORNIA.
CASEY'S GOING TO SHOW HOW TO LINE A GLASS VASE WITH DIFFERENT
TYPES OF GREENERY AND THEN USE A TECHNIQUE SHE CALLS CHOP AND
DROP TO CREATE A BEAUTIFUL FLOWER ARRANGEMENT. THIS
TECHNIQUE CAN MAKE ALL OF US LOOK MORE LIKE PROFESSIONALS.
ANOTHER GUEST IS CONNIE MOYERS, AND SHE REPRESENTS WESTERN
RESEARCH KITCHENS IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA. CONNIE WILL
TALK ABOUT THE ABUNDANT SELECTION OF PREPACKAGED SALADS
THAT ARE NOW AVAILABLE IN MOST SUPERMARKETS. SHE'LL ALSO SHOW
US A VARIETY OF ALL OF THE ADD-ONS THAT CAN BE USED
INCLUDING CROUTONS, TORTILLA STRIPS, AND EVEN WONTON STRIPS.
AND WE'LL BEGIN THE SHOW BY TALKING TO SUE HANSEN, WHO IS A
MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER WHO TRAVELS ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY. SUE
SAYS THAT FINDING YOUR PASSION IS PREDICATED ON THE NOTION THAT
YOU'RE AWARE OF YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE. SHE WILL EXPLAIN HOW TO
KNOW WHAT YOU STAND FOR AND WHAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU IN ORDER
TO ACHIEVE THIS WAY OF LIFE. HER BUSINESS IS CALLED SUE HANSEN
SPEAKS, AND SHE LIVES IN MONTROSE, COLORADO.
SUE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING. I WISH WE HAD TIME TO
TALK ABOUT EVERY TOPIC THAT'S ON YOUR WEBSITE THAT YOU DO
SEMINARS ABOUT, BUT THE ONE I REALLY I WANTED TO TALK TO YOU
ABOUT WAS ABOUT FINDING YOUR PASSION, AND THAT'S NOT
NECESSARILY YOUR JOB OR YOUR DREAM HOME; IT'S--WELL, MAYBE
YOU BETTER DESCRIBE IT. HOW DO WE GO ABOUT FINDING A PASSION
AND WHY?
>> WELL, FIRST OF ALL WHY IS IT IMPORTANT? I THINK THAT THAT'S
THE BEST PLACE TO START, IS THAT...WE ONLY HAVE A SHORT TIME
ON THIS EARTH, AND THE OLDER YOU GET, THE MORE YOU REALIZE IT'S
KIND OF A SHORT LIFE, AND SO WE FIND OURSELVES IN, YOU KNOW,
LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE IN JOBS THAT THEY ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT. THEY
ARE NOT FULFILLED. IT REALLY IS WORK. AND MY PHILOSOPHY IS IF
YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT YOU'RE PASSIONATE ABOUT, THEN YOU'RE
NEVER WORKING, EVER. EVERY DAY IS A JOY, AND I'VE BEEN LUCKY
ENOUGH TO FIND WHAT THAT IS FOR ME, AND THAT'S BEING A SPEAKER
AND TRAINER AND ACTUALLY HELPING PEOPLE BE BETTER PEOPLE, SO
PASSION IS LIKE A PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT THING. I THINK THAT
PEOPLE SELL THEMSELVES SHORT BY NOT EXPLORING ENOUGH ABOUT WHAT
THEY WOULD DO IF THEY DIDN'T GET PAID. I MEAN, THINK ABOUT THAT.
WHAT WOULD WE DO EVERY SINGLE DAY JUST BECAUSE IT BRINGS YOU
SUCH PLEASURE EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T GET PAID? AND I FEEL LIKE WE
FIND OURSELVES IN JOBS THAT ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE KIND OF
FULFILLING JOBS OR IN AREAS OF PURSUIT THAT ARE NOT REALLY WHAT
WE WANT TO DO. SO I COUNSEL PEOPLE TO, NUMBER 1, FIND OUT
WHAT THEIR PURPOSE IS. YOU KNOW, ALMOST EVERYTHING I TALK ABOUT
GOES BACK TO WHAT'S MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU BECAUSE THEN
FROM THAT POINT, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU
AND YOU HAVE A PLAN FOR THAT, NOBODY CAN THWART YOU OFF YOUR
PLAN IN GETTING TO THAT PASSION, SO IT MAY NOT BE SOMETHING THAT
EVERY JOB--I'M NOT SAYING THAT YOU JUST GET OUT OF COLLEGE AND
BOOM, YOUR FIRST JOB, EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE THE BEST
EVER. BUT IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT'S MOST
IMPORTANT TO YOU, THEN YOU CAN MAKE CHOICES THAT CAN HELP YOU
GET TO THAT LEVEL OF JOB THAT YOU TRULY ENJOY AND THAT PASS--
LIFE IS SORT OF EFFORTLESS BECAUSE YOU'RE DOING EXACTLY
WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.
>> WELL, NOW, YOU MENTIONED-- OR AS I MENTIONED, TOO--THAT
YOU'RE A SPEAKER. DO YOU FIND THAT IT'S HARD TO GET YOURSELF
ALL GEARED UP FOR CERTAIN TOPICS? OR IS THIS SUCH A
PASSION WITH YOU KNOWING THAT YOU'RE HOPEFULLY HELPING
SOMEBODY ELSE MAYBE FIND THEIR PASSION THAT IT'S--YOU DON'T GET
NERVOUS, IT'S NOT WORK?
>> NO, IT'S NOT WORK AT ALL. IN FACT, I THINK THAT I WAS LUCKY
ENOUGH. IT WASN'T MY FIRST PURSUIT EITHER. I NEVER THOUGHT
I WOULD BE A SPEAKER. IT WASN'T ON MY LIST. I HAD A MEDICAL
COMPANY THAT I OWNED. BUT I CAME TO IT, AND WHAT I REALIZED IS
THAT, YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU FIND THAT, THEN YOU DON'T--YOU KNOW
HOW YOU HEAR PEOPLE GO, "OH, I HAVE TO GO TO WORK." I NEVER SAY
THAT. I NEVER SAY THAT. BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE WHAT I DO, AND I
THINK THAT'S LUCKY, SO NOT EVERYBODY GETS TO THAT POINT. SO
THERE'S 7 STEPS IN ORDER TO GET THERE, AND YOU KNOW, I WROTE
THIS BOOK BECAUSE I FELT LIKE, WELL, IT ONLY TOOK ME, YOU KNOW,
10 YEARS TO WRITE THE BOOK. IT'S LIKE--
>> HA HA! SMALLER THAN A NOVEL.
>> YEAH. HA HA! EXACTLY. BECAUSE I'M A.D.D. AND I KEPT THINKING
THERE'S NO WAY I'M GONNA BE ABLE TO FOCUS LONG ENOUGH TO WRITE A
BOOK ON PASSION.
>> I COULDN'T EITHER.
>> SO I KIND OF DID IT IN A WORKBOOK FASHION SO THAT YOU
COULD WORK THROUGH IT. NUMBER 1, FINDING OUT WHAT IS YOUR
DIRECTION. THAT'S KIND OF--I THINK OF IT AS A ROAD MAP. YOU
KNOW, WHERE ARE YOU GOING FIRST AND FOREMOST.
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE? HOW DO YOU
GET THERE? AND I THINK THAT TRYING EVERY SINGLE THING IN
PURSUIT OF YOUR PASSION IS IMPORTANT, SO YOU KNOW, NOT
SAYING "I CAN'T DO THAT" OR "I'M NOT GONNA DO THAT" OR "NO,
I WON'T TRY THAT." IF YOU'RE GONNA TRY TO GET TO PASSION, YOU
HAVE TO BE WILLING TO BE OPEN TO...
>> MAYBE TAKE RISKS.
>> TRYING OTHER THINGS. TAKE A LITTLE RISK. RIGHT.
>> AND THAT'S HARD FOR SOME OF US.
>> WELL, IT IS BECAUSE WE FEAR CHANGE, AND YOU KNOW, ALSO WE
GET IN OUR WAY A LOT. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN WHEN I SAY THAT?
WHEN I TALK TO GROUPS, I SAY, YOU KNOW, YOUR WORST ENEMY IS
SITTING IN YOUR CHAIR BECAUSE YOU'RE THE ONE THAT TALKED
YOURSELF OUT OF THAT. "I CAN'T DO IT." "I'M TOO FAT." "I'M TOO
SKINNY." "THAT'LL NEVER WORK."
AND THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO
WHATEVER WE WANT, AND I--SO GETTING OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY IS
THE NUMBER 1 THING YOU GOT TO DO, IS STOP TALKING YOURSELF OUT
OF THESE THINGS. AND THEN THE SECOND THING I THINK IS
IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU HAVE TO BE WILLING TO CONQUER YOUR FEAR,
YOU KNOW. EVERYBODY HAS FEAR, JUST LIKE YOU SAID, ABOUT
THINGS.
>> WERE YOU EVER FEARFUL WHEN YOU STARTED SPEAKING?
>> UM, I SAY NO, BUT I PROBABLY WAS. YOU KNOW, I'M SURE THERE
WERE--I GOT BETTER OVER TIME, THAT'S FOR SURE. I'M SURE IF YOU
ASK SOMEBODY WHO FIRST HEARD ME OUT OF THE BLOCK, "WELL, NOT SO
GOOD." BUT OVER TIME YOU GET BETTER, AND IF YOU LOVE
SOMETHING, THEN YOU DON'T MIND PUTTING THE ENERGY AND TIME INTO
MAKING THAT HAPPEN. SO THE FEAR IS A THING THAT YOU HAVE TO
CONQUER, AND I TELL THE STORY ABOUT WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE AND
I WAS IN ROTC, AND THEY ASKED US TO REPEL OFF OF THE BUSINESS
BUILDING. NOW, THIS IS SOME YEARS AGO BEFORE IT WAS, YOU
KNOW, KIND OF IN VOGUE TO BE A ROCK CLIMBER AND JUMP OFF
THINGS, AND WHEN I GOT TO THE TOP, I WAS--I FOUND MYSELF,
WHEN HE SAID, "IT'S YOUR TURN TO JUMP OFF," I JUST FOUND MYSELF
PARALYZED.
>> PARALYZED.
>> AND HAVE YOU EVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THAT?
>> NO, BUT I WOULD BE THAT WAY IF--
>> YOU WOULD BE PARALYZED?
>> MM-HMM.
>> WELL, LET ME TELL YOU WHAT THE SECRET TO IT IS THAT WHEN
YOU START CRYING AND THEY JUST KIND OF THROW YOU OVER, THEN YOU
HAVE NO CHOICE AND SO...
>> HERE I COME.
>> BUT I FOUND THAT AS SOON AS I WAS OVER THE EDGE, THE FEAR
DISSIPATED BECAUSE IT'S JUST TAKING THAT FIRST STEP, SO THE
ANALOGY TO ME IS THAT WHENEVER YOU'RE FEARFUL, AS LONG AS YOU
TAKE 1 STEP CLOSER TO WHATEVER YOU FEAR TO CONQUER IT, JUST
STEP BY STEP, THEN YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO FEAR AND
IT'S NOT PARALYZING YOU. IT'S JUST PART OF THE PROCESS. SO I
THINK AS YOU LOOK AND TRY TO CONQUER THE THINGS AND FIND YOUR
PASSION, YOU HAVE TO BE A LITTLE BIT OF A RISK TAKER, BUT YOU
HAVE TO THINK THROUGH THOSE THINGS, SO WHAT'S MOST
IMPORTANT, WHAT AM I GONNA DO TO GET OUT OF MY WAY? HOW AM I
GONNA TRY EVERY SINGLE THING ON THE ROAD TO GET THERE? AND YOU
KNOW, BE PERSISTENT ABOUT IT.
>> AND YOU ARE--EVERY STEP YOU TAKE, YOU'RE ELIMINATING SOME
OBSTACLE. LIKE YOU WERE SAYING, MAY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE NERVOUS.
IT MAY HAVE JUST BEEN ADRENALINE KICKING IN, BUT YOU'VE
ELIMINATED THAT FEAR THAT MANY OF US WOULD HAVE ABOUT SPEAKING
IN FRONT OF A GROUP.
>> AND IF YOU SUCCUMB TO YOUR FEAR, THEN YOU WILL NOT TRY
ANYTHING MORE. THEN YOU SAY, "WELL, THAT DIDN'T WORK, AND I
CAN'T DO IT, SO I'M NOT GONNA DO IT." AND THEN, OF COURSE, YOU
KNOW, IF YOU HAVE THIS WELL-THOUGHT-OUT PLAN, AND YOU
KNOW, I CAN TELL YOU, I'VE HAD SEVERAL LIFE PLANS BECAUSE LIFE
GETS IN THE WAY OF YOUR PLAN.
SOMETHING HAPPENS, YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE A GRANDKID,
SOMETHING HAPPENS OVER HERE, YOU GOT TO DO THIS, YOU CHANGE JOBS.
THERE'S LOTS OF THINGS THAT HAPPEN. BUT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE
THAT CORE...THE CORE PIECE, WHAT IS REALLY...WHAT DRIVES YOU.
>> YOUR PASSION.
>> WHAT MAKES YOU WHO YOU ARE, AND YOU FOLLOW THAT, THEN YOU'RE
ALWAYS GONNA BE AUTHENTIC AND TRUE TO YOURSELF. SO THAT'S WHY
I ENCOURAGE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME.
YOU KNOW, THERE'S ALWAYS-- EVERYBODY ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING
IN THEIR HEAD. "GEE, I LIKE THAT." "GEE, I WONDER WHAT WOULD
HAPPEN IF..." "GEE, I'D TRY THAT." YOU KNOW, EXPLORE IT AND
SEE IF YOU CAN DO IT BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE A LIFE AND
THEN REGRET.
>> YOU'LL NEVER KNOW OTHERWISE.
>> EXACTLY.
>> AND THEN LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THE SENSE OF HUMOR. YOU WORK
THAT IN TO ALL OF YOUR PRESENTATIONS.
>> WELL, I THINK IT'S CRITICAL.
>> UH-HUH.
>> DO YOU AGREE?
>> WELL, I THINK YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT, UH-HUH.
>> RIGHT. SO, YOU KNOW, TO ME, I THINK THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK
LIGHTLY, TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY AND YOURSELF LESS SERIOUS...
>> LESS SERIOUSLY.
>> AND REALLY ENJOY WHAT HAPPENS AND MAKE FUN OF YOURSELF IF YOU
NEED TO AND BE A LIGHT-HEARTED PERSON, BE EASY TO BE AROUND.
I REMEMBER ONE TIME I WAS-- ACTUALLY I WAS IN ALBUQUERQUE
SPEAKING, AND I HAD A CAR ACCIDENT, AND I MEAN, IT WAS...
IT WAS PHOENIX BECAUSE IT WAS LIKE 114. IT DOESN'T GET THAT
HOT IN NEW MEXICO, DOES IT? LIKE 114 DEGREES. IT WAS SO HOT. AND
MY BUMPER WAS DRAGGING ON THE GROUND, AND I WAS TRYING TO
DRIVE HOME TO COLORADO, AND WHEN I GOT TO COLORADO FINALLY, I HAD
AN APPOINTMENT THE NEXT DAY IN DENVER, AND SO I WAS GONNA HAVE
TO DRIVE TO DENVER, SO I HAD THIS BUMPER, AND I DIDN'T HAVE
TIME TO RENT A CAR, AND I HAD THIS BUMPER THAT--I MEAN, I
LOOKED RAGTAG. I DIDN'T WANT TO MEET WITH THE CLIENT THAT WAY,
SO I KIND OF STRUNG UP THE BUMPER AND DUCT-TAPED IT, AND
THEN I HAD THESE FAKE, THESE BIG BAND-AIDS THAT ARE LIKE THIS
BIG, AND I PUT A BIG BAND-AID ON THE CAR, AND THEN I MADE A BIG
SIGN THAT SAID "CELL PHONE INCIDENT" BECAUSE I WAS ON THE
CELL PHONE. THE POLICE DID NOT KNOW THAT, BUT I WAS ON THE
CELL PHONE AT THE TIME, AND SO I DROVE TO DENVER, AND PEOPLE OF
COURSE, YOU KNOW, HAVING FUN, LAUGHING AND THINGS LIKE THAT,
SO YOU KNOW, INSTEAD OF GETTING SO SERIOUS ABOUT THINGS THAT
HAPPEN TO YOU IN LIFE, YOU NEED TO TAKE A LIGHTER LOOK AT IT.
>> I THINK YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. WELL, THANK YOU VERY
MUCH. I APPRECIATE YOUR COMING TODAY. THANKS.
CONNIE, IT'S ALWAYS NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE, AND WHEN YOU SAID WE
WERE GOING TO TALK ABOUT SALADS, IT MAKES ME THINK OF GROWING UP.
WE ALWAYS HAD SALAD AT ALMOST EVERY MEAL, BUT IT WAS JUST
LETTUCE AND TOMATOES, AND YOU PUT IT ON THE PLATE ALONG WITH
EVERYTHING ELSE. AND NOW SALAD PLAYS SUCH A BIG ROLE IN OUR
MEALS.
>> THEY DO. AND YOU KNOW, WHAT'S ALSO EASY IS WE HAVE ALL OF
THESE AVAILABLE ONES THAT ARE ALREADY MIXED IN THE--AND I
HATE MAKING SALAD. AND I DON'T WANT IT SIMPLE, BUT IT'S JUST
NICE TO DUMP THINGS OUT OF A BAG, AND WE DON'T HAVE TO WASH
IT. IT'S ALREADY BEEN WASHED FOR US. IT'S JUST REALLY GREAT, SO--
>> PRECUT, PREMEASURED BASICALLY IF YOU'RE USING THE SMALLER
THINGS LIKE ONIONS OR WHATEVER.
>> BUT YOU KNOW, THERE'S ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF SALADS, AND
NOW MOST OF THE TIME WE HAVE A PREMEAL SALAD LIKE INSTEAD OF ON
YOUR PLATE LIKE YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT, ABOUT HOW WE GREW UP,
AND IT'LL BE ON A BOWL OR A PLATE, AND IT'S JUST A REAL
SIMPLE MIXTURE OF GREENS, WHATEVER GREENS YOU LIKE. YOU
KNOW, THERE'S NOTHING THAT SAYS YOU CAN'T MIX SOME OF THOSE BAGS
OF GREENS, TOO, IF IT'S, YOU KNOW, WANT A LITTLE BIT MORE.
BUT WHAT REALLY FINISHES OFF IS, OF COURSE, THE DRESSING, BUT
THERE'S SO MANY TOPPERS AVAILABLE NOW.
>> I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF TOPPERS FOR
SALADS.
>> THEY ARE. THESE ARE MRS.
CUBBISONS TOPPINGS, AND THAT ONE IS
TEXAS AND BUTTER TOAST CRUNCH YOU'RE GONNA PUT ON THERE, AND,
YOU KNOW, THOSE ARE NICE, BIG THICK ONES, PRETTY AND GOOD AND
CRUNCHY AND TOASTED, AND THAT JUST REALLY FINISHES THAT LITTLE
SALAD OFF AND MAKES IT REALLY GOOD. THESE ARE ASIAGO CHEESE
SALADS, AND SO THOSE ARE REALLY GOOD. AND WE JUST PUT A LITTLE
BIT OF DRESSING OR EVEN JUST A LITTLE BIT OF OLIVE OIL OR
SOMETHING, NOT MUCH, AND THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE TO DO.
>> SO THAT'S YOUR PREMEAL TYPE OF SALAD.
>> THAT'S OUR PREMEAL SALAD. AND THEN, YOU KNOW, A LOT OF TIMES
WE HAVE LEFTOVERS, WHETHER IT'S STEAK, BRISKET, SALMON THAT WE
HAVE TODAY, CHICKEN--ANY OF THOSE--OR OF COURSE WE COULD
COOK IT FOR THAT, GRILL IT, AND THEN JUST PUT IT ON YOUR SALAD
AND IT'S JUST SUCH A LIGHTER WHOLE MEAL DEAL. AND YOU KNOW, A
LOT OF THE RESTAURANTS HAVE THAT ON THEIR MENUS THESE DAYS,
AND SO THAT'S REALLY NICE. SO I'VE JUST CHOSEN A REAL PRETTY
MIXED GREEN SALAD THAT WE'VE PUT IN HERE, AND THIS IS SOME SALMON
THAT I HAD ALREADY COOKED AND HAD A LITTLE BIT LEFT OVER, SO
WE'LL JUST SPRINKLE IT OVER THE TOP.
>> ON, THIS WOULD BE THE MAIN DISH.
>> THIS SALMON IS SOME GOOD WILD-CAUGHT PACIFIC SALMON, AND
I JUST COOKED IT ON THE BROILER.
YOU COULD COOK IT ON THE GRILL OR ANY PLACE TO DO THAT, BUT
DOESN'T THAT MAKE A GORGEOUS SALAD? AND YOU WOULD PAY QUITE A
BIT FOR THAT SALAD IN THE RESTAURANT, SO THAT'S REALLY
GOOD.
>> AND THE THING ABOUT SALMON, AND I THINK IT'S AN EASY ERROR
FOR US TO MAKE. WE'RE USED TO COOKING MOST THINGS QUITE A
WHILE, AND SALMON COOKS SO FAST, IT'S REALLY EASY TO OVERCOOK IT.
>> BUT IT'S JUST SO EASY TO FIX.
THIS ONE HAD SOME HONEY MUSTARD ON IT, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO
ANYTHING TO IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.
>> YOU CAN GRILL IT AND BROIL IT, WHAT?
>> BAKE IT, POACH IT--ANY OF THOSE THINGS THAT YOU COULD DO.
AND YOU KNOW, ALONG WITH THE CROUTONS, THERE ARE ALL OF THESE
TORTILLA STRIPS, WONTON STRIPS, AND THOSE ARE FUN AND EXCITING.
I KNOW ONE OF THE RESTAURANTS THAT I GO TO A LOT AT LUNCH HAS
TORTILLA STRIPS ON THEIR SALAD, AND I JUST REALLY ENJOY THAT
MEAL SALAD THAT WAY. BUT TODAY I THINK WE'RE GONNA PUT THESE
WONTONS-- >> OH, GOOD. I HAVEN'T TRIED THE
WON TONS.
>> AND THEY'RE SOY GINGER, SO THEY'RE REALLY A DIFFERENT ONE.
THESE ARE MADE BY MRS.
CUBBISONS, AND THEY'RE JUST REALLY GOOD.
>> MM-HMM.
>> AND THEN, OF COURSE, YOU KNOW, THERE'S ALL KINDS OF
TOPPINGS THAT YOU COULD ADD TO IT IF YOU WANTED TO. YOU CAN ADD
A FEW ALMONDS, ANY KIND OF NUT YOU WANTED TO PUT ON THERE.
WE COULD PUT OLIVES, OR THE--IT WOULDN'T BE--SOME MANDARIN
ORANGES WOULD BE REALLY ATTRACTIVE ON TOP OF THIS.
>> OH, THAT WOULD BE ESPECIALLY GOOD, I THINK, WITH THE SALMON.
>> AND THE SOY, I THINK.
>> MM-HMM.
>> SO THAT'S A GOOD CHOICE, TOO.
>> WE USED TO USE EVERYTHING IN THE REFRIGERATOR TO MAKE STEW.
NOW WE CAN JUST ABOUT DO THE SAME THING AND MAKE OUR OWN
SALADS.
>> WITH SALADS, CAN'T WE? AND THEN, OF COURSE, JUST TOP IT OFF
WITH A LITTLE BIT OF CRACKED PEPPER, AND THAT REALLY ADDS
SOME GOOD FLAVOR TO IT.
SO SIMPLE. WE DIDN'T ADD SALT TO IT. WE DIDN'T ADD ANYTHING. AND
THEN OUR FAVORITE DRESSING.
>> UH-HUH.
>> SO, YOU KNOW, THERE'S OTHER KINDS OF SALADS, TOO. THERE'S,
LIKE, EGG SALAD, POTATO SALAD, TUNA SALAD, CHICKEN SALAD, AND
THOSE CAN BE MEALS OR THEY CAN BE A SIDE DISH.
>> UH-HUH. SO YOU CAN GET A LOT OF USE OUT OF SOME THINGS, AND
JUST, LIKE YOU SAID, YOU MAY NOT HAVE LEFTOVERS, BUT YOU CAN PLAN
AND HAVE PLANNED-OVERS SO THAT YOU CAN SAVE A LITTLE BIT.
>> THAT'S RIGHT. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TO DO AT MY HOUSE BECAUSE
IF I SET IT ON A LITTLE TABLE, IT'S PROBABLY GONNA BE GONE, AND
THEN ADD THESE DIFFERENT KINDS OF TOPPERS, AND IT JUST MAKES IT
REALLY SPECIAL. IT LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THAT CAME FROM A
RESTAURANT.
>> IT REALLY DOES. WELL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CONNIE. I ALWAYS
LEARN SOMETHING WHEN YOU'RE ON.
>> THANK YOU.
>> CASEY, IT'S NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE, AND I KNOW YOU TEACH
CLASSES ALL THE TIME. IS THAT WHERE THE IDEA OF CHOP AND DROP
CAME FROM?
>> WE WERE ESPECIALLY TRYING TO WORK WITH TULIPS, AND WE WERE
HAVING A BIT OF A BATTLE. WE THOUGHT, "HOW CAN WE JUST GRAB
THESE ALTOGETHER AND JUST STICK THEM IN A VASE?" BECAUSE THAT'S
HOW FRUSTRATING THEY WERE GETTING, AND THAT'S WHAT WE DID.
SO THAT'S WHERE THIS IDEA CAME FROM, THE CHOP AND DROP.
SO WE GATHERED EVERYTHING TOGETHER, WE'VE BOUND IT
TOGETHER, AND POPPED IT IN A VASE, AND THEN WE FILLED IN.
>> AND THAT'S WHAT THIS TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT IS?
>> THAT'S WHAT THIS IS. THIS IS ONE BIG CHOP AND DROP, SO I'M
GONNA TEACH YOU A LITTLE BIT HOW TO DO THAT AND--
>> IT'S SEEN FROM ALL SIDES.
>> ALL SIDES.
>> IT'S BEAUTIFUL. AND YOU COULD DO THIS WITH WHAT OTHER TYPES?
YOU SAID THE TULIPS.
>> THE TULIPS WORK REALLY BEAUTIFULLY. ANY KIND OF FLOWER
WILL DO IT. I ESPECIALLY LIKE WORKING WITH THESE. THESE ARE
CALLED ALSTROEMERIA. THEY'RE ALSO CALLED PERUVIAN LILY, AND
THEY COME IN SO MANY COLORS. AND THE JOY OF THEM IS, TOO, AT THE
END OF A STEM, YOU'LL HAVE ALL THESE WONDERFUL BLOOMS, UP TO 7
IF NOT MORE, GOING ON, AND YOU WANT TO BUY THEM WHEN THEY'RE
STILL PRETTY TIGHT AND CLOSED.
THESE ARE A GREAT POSITION BECAUSE THEY'RE JUST STARTING TO
OPEN, AND THE FLOWERS THEMSELVES WILL SOMETIMES DOUBLE OR TRIPLE
IN SIZE, AND SO IT'LL END UP BEING JUST ABSOLUTELY--
>> REALLY FILL IT OUT.
>> AND WHAT ALSO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR WHEN YOU ARE BUYING
ALSTROEMERIA IS YOU WANT TO HAVE THE GREENERY POINTING UPWARDS,
AND YOU STILL WANT THE FLOWERS NESTLED IN THE GREENERY. IF THE
FLOWERS HAVE GROWN PAST THE GREENERY, THEY'VE BEEN CUT FOR A
WHILE AND AREN'T AS FRESH.
SO THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO LOOK FOR, SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE
THIS. AND THEN FOR ALSO WE'RE GONNA BE REMOVING THE GREENERY
THAT'S GONNA BE ON THE STEM. NO THORNS HERE, SO VERY EASY TO
CLEAN. SO WE JUST SLIDE THOSE RIGHT OFF, AND WE'RE GOOD TO GO,
AND I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT WITH SOME OF THE STEMS HERE, SO IF
YOU WANT TO CLEAN THAT ONE, THAT'S GOOD FUN TO DO.
SO IN ADDITION TO THE ALSTROEMERIA THAT WE'RE WORKING
WITH TODAY WE'RE GONNA USE ANOTHER FLOWER THAT'S GONNA DO
SORT OF A COLLAR TO TIE IN THE COLOR, AND THIS IS CALLED
SOLIDAGO, AND IT'S GOT ALL THESE LITTLE
BRANCHES AND STEMS ON IT AS WELL, AND WE CLEAN THESE THE
SAME WAS AS THE ALSTROEMERIA. WE JUST SLIDE DOWN WHAT WE DON'T
WANT, LEAVING ALL THE GOOD STUFF UP TOP.
>> UH-HUH.
>> SO THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GONNA FOR OUR COLLAR. BUT THE FIRST
THING WE NEED TO DO IS PREP THE VASE. AND WE'RE GONNA USE TEA
LEAVES, AND THIS IS GONNA ADD JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE GIRTH TO
THE VASE TO HOLD OUR STEMS IN BECAUSE SOMETIMES IF YOU HAVE A
WIDE-MOUTH VASE, YOU NEED A LOT OF FLOWERS. SOMETIMES YOU DON'T
HAVE A LOT OF FLOWERS. SO YOU THINK, "WELL, WHAT CAN I DO TO
TAKE UP MORE SPACE?"
>> OH, I SEE.
>> SO WHAT WE DO IS WE LAY IT WITH GREENERY SOMETIMES. IN THIS
SENSE, THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GONNA DO. SO I'VE TAKEN THE TEA LEAF,
AND I'VE ACTUALLY JUST CUT AWAY THE BOTTOM PART OF IT,
AND WE'RE-- >> JUST WITH YOUR CLIPPERS.
>> JUST WITH THE CLIPPERS. AND THESE ARE VERY HEARTY, AND THEY
WILL LAST WEEKS. AND SOMETIMES EVEN OUT OF WATER.
>> EVEN WITHOUT WATER.
>> YES. IT WON'T BREAK DOWN LIKE SOME OF THE STUFF, AND WHAT
WE'RE GONNA DO IS WE'RE JUST GONNA SLIDE THEM IN, AND THEN
WE'RE GONNA BEND THEM BACK. AND WE'RE JUST GONNA PUT 3 IN, SO
I'LL GO AHEAD AND POP THIS ONE IN HERE. AND THIS IS JUST GONNA
SET OUR FRAME FOR OUR-- >> YOU CALLED IT A COLLAR.
>> A COLLAR.
>> AND THAT'S KIND OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.
>> RIGHT. IF YOU WANT TO POP THAT ONE IN. SLIDE IT IN, AND
THEN JUST EASE BACK THAT SPINE A LITTLE BIT. VERY NICE. AND THAT
ALREADY LOOKS PRETTY. YOU CAN GET A WHOLE BUNCH OF THESE, YOU
JUST DO THIS FIRST AND GET IT AHEAD AND PUT IT ASIDE, AND THEN
WE CAN START WORKING WITH THE FLOWERS.
>> AND YOU DON'T HAVE ANY WATER IN THAT VASE YET.
>> WATER'S ALREADY IN THERE.
>> OH, IT IS IN THERE. OK.
>> YEP, WATER'S ALREADY IN THERE BECAUSE SINCE WE'RE GOING TO
GATHER THESE TOGETHER AND THEN CHOP THEM, WE WANT TO HAVE THAT
WATER IN THERE 'CAUSE STEMS USUALLY CLOSE UP IN ABOUT 10
SECONDS.
>> OH, OK.
>> SO ONCE YOU'VE CUT YOUR STEMS, YOU WANT TO BE READY TO
PLACE THEM IN.
>> TO DROP.
>> RIGHT, TO DROP. SO THE FUN THING ABOUT THIS ARRANGEMENT IS
WE'RE JUST GONNA PILE OUR FLOWERS ON EACH OTHER. WE'RE
GONNA BUILD SORT OF A PYRAMID OF FLOWERS, AND WHAT WE'RE GONNA DO
MOSTLY OR PAY ATTENTION TO IS TRYING TO KEEP THEM ALL ABOUT
THE SAME-- >> THE TOP. KEEPING IT--
>> KEEP THEM ALL ABOUT THE SAME HEIGHT. SO YOU DON'T WANT
ANYBODY SHOOTING UP REALLY TALL BECAUSE
THEN THEY'LL STICK OUT AND LOOK A LITTLE ODD. SO WE'RE JUST
GONNA KEEP TAKING ALL OUR STEMS, AND WE'RE JUST GONNA LAY THEM ON
TOP OF EACH OTHER AND MAKE A BIG PILE OF FLOWERS, AND THAT'S NOT
THAT HARD TO DO. SO I'M GONNA GIVE YOU SOME THERE. AND WE'RE
JUST GONNA KEEP GOING BACK AND FORTH, LAYING THEM ON THERE.
START OUR SECOND LEVEL THERE.
AND YOU CAN SEE YOU CAN DO THIS WITH A WHOLE BUNCH OF DIFFERENT
COLORED ALSTROEMERIA. SOMETIMES IF YOU GO TO THE GROCERY AND
PICK UP SOME FLOWERS, THEY'LL HAVE 2 OR 3 BUNCHES OF
ALSTROEMERIA FOR A VERY REASONABLE PRICE. SO YOU BUY 3
BUNCHES. YOU COME HOME, AND YOU PULL THESE TOGETHER AND MAYBE
GRAB A RUBBER BAND OUT OF THAT JUNK DRAWER, AND THAT'S ALL
YOU'RE GONNA NEED TO MAKE THIS WORK. KEEP PILING THEM UP THERE.
>> FOOLPROOF.
>> YES, IT IS FOOLPROOF. THAT'S A LITTLE BIT GREAT. THESE ARE
LOOKING SO PRETTY. IT'S A NICE BIG PILE OF FLOWERS. AND A
COUPLE MORE. IT'S ABOUT 20 STEMS WE HAVE HERE, WHICH WOULD BE,
FOR BUNCHES, USUALLY THEY SELL 10 STEMS IN A BUNCH.
>> OH, SO 2 BUNCHES.
>> SO 2 BUNCHES IS ALL IT IS. SO WE HAVE THIS GORGEOUS COLLECTION
OF FLOWERS, AND FROM HERE WE JUST WANT TO GATHER THEM
TOGETHER, AND WE SEE WE HAVE A WONDERFUL COLLECTION. MAYBE A
LITTLE BIT TALL THERE, SO WE PULL THAT DOWN A LITTLE BIT, BUT
WE'LL KEEP HIM STICKING OUT A LITTLE BIT. HE MIGHT EVEN OUT.
AND THEN WE HAVE ALL THIS MASSIVE AMOUNT OF STEMS, AND
WHAT WE'RE GONNA WANT TO DO IS WE'RE GONNA CUT. WE'RE NOT GONNA
CUT ALL OF IT OFF, BUT WE'RE GONNA CUT MOST OF IT OFF JUST TO
GIVE US A HEAD START BECAUSE WE ARE GONNA PUT A RUBBER BAND
AROUND THIS SET. WE'RE NOT GONNA COMMIT WITH OUT FINAL CUT YET
BECAUSE WE STILL HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF WORK TO DO, RIGHT.
SO FROM HERE I'M GONNA TAKE A RUBBER BAND, AND I'M JUST GONNA
RUN IT AROUND THE STEMS, AND I'M GONNA SLIDE IT UP, AND BY
SLIDING IT UP, IT REALLY MAKES THE COMPACTNESS STAY INTACT
BECAUSE IF YOU WERE TO JUST KEEP IT DOWN THERE LOOSE, IT WOULDN'T
BE AS TIGHT, SO WE DO THAT.
THERE WE HAVE A GORGEOUS COLLECTION OF FLOWERS, AND
EVERYTHING IS JUST GONNA EXPLODE WITH OPENING, BUT WE'RE NOT
FINISHED YET. WE'RE GONNA TAKE OUR SOLIDAGO, AND FROM HERE,
WE'RE JUST GONNA ADD TO OUR BOUQUET.
>> AND IS IT ABOUT THE SAME?
IT'S A LITTLE BIT LOWER.
>> A LITTLE LOWER BECAUSE, AGAIN, THESE ARE OUT FEATURED
FLOWERS, SO WE'RE JUST GONNA ADD AND TURN, ADD AND TURN. REALLY
FUN, PRETTY, HEIGHTENS THE COLORS, THE YELLOW. AND THIS
IS--SOLIDAGO IS CONSIDERED A FILLER FLOWER. IT ONLY COMES IN
YELLOW.
>> OH, IT DOES.
>> YES. AND WHEN IT'S REALLY SUPER, SUPER FRESH, IT'S SO
TIGHTLY CLOSED, IT'S VERY GREEN, SO IT'S PRETTY TO ADD IN TO
SOMETHING, AND THEN HAVE IT CHANGE TO YELLOW.
>> MM-HMM.
>> SO THERE WE HAVE A WHOLE-- ALMOST A WHOLE RIM AROUND.
>> SO THIS IS ANOTHER COLLAR REALLY.
>> ANOTHER COLLAR, YES, WHICH MAKES YOUR ARRANGEMENT JUST LOOK
NICE AND TIDY AND FINISHED.
>> MM-HMM.
>> SO HERE WE HAVE THIS BEAUTIFUL BOUQUET OF FLOWERS. WE
HAVE THIS VASE THAT'S READY FOR PLACEMENT, AND WE'RE DEFINITELY
A LITTLE BIT ON THE TALL SIDE, SO I'M GONNA TRIM AWAY AGAIN
THOSE LITTLE GUYS.
>> THE LAST ONES.
>> THE LAST ONES. AND I'M GOING TO TRY TO SEE IF I CAN GET THIS
RUBBER BAND AROUND THE BASE OF THESE.
>> I DON'T SEE HOW YOU REMEMBER THE NAMES OF ALL OF THESE.
>> HA HA! AND YOU GATHER THOSE STEMS TOGETHER, AND AGAIN, YES,
THAT'S GREAT HELP. THAT'S GONNA KEEP IT MORE CONTROLLED.
THAT'S IT. THERE. AND THAT WAY OUR STEMS ARE NICE AND
CONTROLLED. SO VERY ORGANIZED.
SO HERE WE HAVE. SO WE HAVE OUR FIRST ONES THERE, OUR SECOND ONE
IS THERE.
>> OH, AND WE COVERED UP THAT BIG ONE.
>> COVERED UP THE OTHER ONE.
>> I SEE.
>> AND SO FROM HERE WE WANT TO TAKE A LOOK AND SAY, "WELL, HOW
LONG DO WE WANT TO MAKE IT?"
IF WE LIKE THE STEM LOOK, WE WOULD DO IT THERE, BUT WE WANT
TO GO A LITTLE LOWER, SO YOU BRING YOUR VASE TO THE EDGE OF
THE TABLE. YOU BRING YOUR STEMS DOWN LOW. AND THAT GIVES YOU A
REALLY GOOD INDICATION OF WHERE WE WANT TO CUT. SO WE'RE
ACTUALLY GONNA CUT RIGHT BELOW THAT RUBBER BAND, AND WE'RE
GONNA CUT AT AN ANGLE. THE REASON FOR THAT IS WE DON'T WANT
OUR STEMS SITTING FLAT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE VASE BECAUSE THEN
THEY DON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO DRINK PROPERLY, SO THINK ABOUT
PUTTING THEM ON THEIR TIPPY TOES AND CUTTING THEM AT A NICE
LITTLE ANGLE THERE.
>> AND I DIDN'T REALIZE YOU NEEDED TO WORK WITH THEM AND GET
THEM IN WATER IN ABOUT 10 SECONDS.
>> SO QUICKLY. INDEED.
>> THAT'S IMPORTANT.
>> LET'S GIVE IT A TRY, SHALL WE?
>> OK.
>> GONNA POP THOSE RIGHT IN THERE.
>> CHOP AND YOU DROP.
>> AND I THINK THEY'RE ACTUALLY STILL A LITTLE ON THE TALL SIDE.
'CAUSE IT'S A LITTLE BIT WIGGLY THERE, SO I'M GONNA
PULL 'EM BACK OUT AND SLIDE UP THAT RUBBER BAND, AND
WE'RE GONNA CUT ABOUT ANOTHER INCH OFF.
>> AND THE GOOD PART ABOUT HAVING THE BANDS ON IT, IT
DIDN'T CHANGE THE SHAPE OF THE FLOWER WHEN YOU PULL THEM IN.
>> NO, IT KEPT THE SHAPE EXACTLY. ONE MORE SNIP THERE,
AND WE DROP 'EM AGAIN. SO WE DID THE CHOP, NOW WE DID THE DROP.
>> THEY STAND UP. THAT'S A GOOD LESSON RIGHT THERE. IF THEY TEND
TO WOBBLE, WE KNOW THEY'RE NOT SHORT ENOUGH.
>> THEY'RE NOT SHORT ENOUGH.
>> OH, THAT'S BEAUTIFUL. AND IT'S SO EASY. CHOP AND DROP.
>> CHOP AND DROP. DOESN'T TAKE ANY TIME AT ALL.
>> THANK YOU, CASEY.
I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW TODAY. NEXT TIME ON "CREATIVE
LIVING," WE'LL LEARN HOW TO MAKE A KITTY SOCK, WHICH IS SIMILAR
TO THE POPULAR SOCK MONKEYS MADE YEARS AGO, AND WE'LL LEARN TO
USE SOME STAR BUILDER PRODUCTS TO CREATE BEAUTIFUL SENSATIONS.
ONE OF MY NEXT GUESTS IS A DESIGNER AND CRAFTER, AND SHE'S
GOING TO DEMONSTRATE KITTY SOCK CRAFTING, WHICH IS A TAKEOFF
FROM YEARS AGO WHEN MAKING SOCK MONKEYS WAS SO POPULAR.
THIS IS AN EASY AND FUN CRAFT THAT CHILDREN WILL ALSO ENJOY
DOING. ANOTHER GUEST IS A QUILTER AND ALSO A DESIGNER, AND
SHE'LL DEMONSTRATE HOW TO USE SHEBA PAINT STICKS AND STAR
BUILDER STAMPS FOR TEXTURE TO CREATE WALL HANGINGS, JACKET
EMBELLISHMENTS, OR HOLIDAY DECORATIONS. BOTH OF THESE
TOPICS WILL BE FEATURED ON THE NEXT "CREATIVE LIVING" SHOW. IF
YOU EVER HAVE COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS FOR SHOWS,
YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT SHERYL.BORDEN@ENMU.EDU. I'D ALSO
LIKE TO ASK YOU TO BECOME A FAN OF "CREATIVE LIVING" ON
FACEBOOK. JUST GO TO FACEBOOK.COM AND IN THE SEARCH
WINDOW TYPE IN "CREATIVE LIVING WITH SHERYL BORDEN." THANKS SO
MUCH, AND I HOPE YOU'LL PLAN TO JOIN ME NEXT TIME FOR "CREATIVE
LIVING."
>> WE ARE VERY PLEASED TO OFFER A NEW BOOKLET THAT ACCOMPANIES
THIS SERIES OF "CREATIVE LIVING." THIS BOOKLET IS TITLED
THE 6500 SERIES, AND IT FEATURES A WONDERFUL COLLECTION OF IDEAS
AND INFORMATION AND IT'S AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE ON OUR
WEBSITE. POSTED AS A PDF FILE, YOU CAN SIMPLY DOWNLOAD THE
ENTIRE BOOKLET OR JUST THE SEGMENTS YOU'RE MOST INTERESTED
IN. AS WITH ALL THE "CREATIVE LIVING" BOOKLETS, YOU'LL FIND
INFORMATION ON FOODS AND NUTRITION, CLOTHING AND FASHION,
HEALTH AND BEAUTY, HOME DECORATING AND MUCH MORE. FOR
YOUR COPY OF THIS BOOKLET, GO TO OUR WEBSITE AT KENW.ORG AND
THEN CLICK ON "CREATIVE LIVING."
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOOKLET SECTION AND YOU CAN CLICK ON
THIS BOOKLET OR ANY OF THE OTHER BOOKLETS WE HAVE AVAILABLE
ONLINE. ONCE AGAIN, JUST GO TO KENW.ORG, CLICK ON "CREATIVE
LIVING," AND DOWNLOAD THE BOOKLET, TITLED THE 6500 SERIES.
WE ALSO WANT TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE
E-NEWSLETTER. JUST CLICK ON THE SIGN UP NOW BUTTON AND INPUT
YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT. YOU'LL ENJOY
READING AN UP-TO-DATE NEWSLETTER FILLED WITH
INTERESTING TOPICS AND INFORMATION. THANK YOU.