skip to main content

Why I Flipped My Classroom

4 minutes

Katie Gimbar, an eighth grade Mathematics and Algebra I teacher at Durant Road Middle School in Raleigh, NC, found that 90% of her class-time was dedicated to delivery of content, leaving only 10% for application of content. She flips the delivery/application ratio using asynchronous on-line tools for delivery, freeing time in the face-to-face classroom for active guided team-based application activities. In her view this model allows her to engage all her learners.

Media Details

Runtime: 4 minutes

9 Billion Mouths to Feed: The Future of Farming
Episode 2
11 minutes
Grade Level: 9 - 12
22 minutes
Grade Level: 9 - 12
STEM Careers in Two Years
Episode 2
20 minutes
Grade Level: 9 - 12
All About the Holidays
Episode 22
2 minutes
Grade Level: 4 - 8
All About the Holidays
Episode
2 minutes
Grade Level: 4 - 8
All About the Holidays
Episode 41
2 minutes
Grade Level: 4 - 8
All About the Holidays
Episode 13
2 minutes
Grade Level: 4 - 8
All About the Holidays
Episode 37
2 minutes
Grade Level: 4 - 8
All About the Holidays
Episode 44
2 minutes
Grade Level: 4 - 8
STEM Careers in Two Years
Episode 3
21 minutes
Grade Level: 9 - 12

Viewer Comments

  • Tiny default profile photo
    sherri k. (Princeton, WV)
    August 27th, 2014 at 01:07 PM

    Wonderful presentation. Very helpful.